Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Trimming Shrubs

I'm considering trimming shrubs every other visit this season or
should I touch them up every visit?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

As of course with all living things, cutting more off is not necessary better. That being said I personally think on commercial properties one of the first things people see is the shrubs. I would cut the shrubs to where the owner and you feel good about the presentation and then monitor them. During frequent rainy months, you will have to touch them up more (same if they are irrigated) then the more dry months but that in opinion is one way to tell the professionals from the mow and go guys.

Lawns Maintenance and Sprinkler System Repair
Old 03-28-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't really very good pruning practices. I see this done a lot with commercial landscaping. But even then, it's not right.

Most plants and shrubs only need to be pruned once each year. Some twice per year. The only real exceptions should be;

1) Hedges. Plants that are in hedge form need to be trimmed more regularly to keep a nice tight hedge.

2) Topiary. Spiral shaped arbs or junipers, pom-pom or poodle shaped pines, Pyramidal shaped wax leaf privits, etc. These guys need to be trimmed regularly with some good sharp shears to keep their form.

3) Some plants like Roses need to have regular attention like pruning the dead flowers off, etc.

4) Pruning to keep plants away from buildings. This should be done as often as necessary so that plants don't come within 6" of the building.

That's about it. Otherwise, most plants shouldn't be pruned in this one-shape-fits-all round ball like every commercial landscaper seems to think everything should look like. There's nothing wrong with a Rhodie or any other shrub growing out to it's natural form. Most plants and shrubs look BEST in their natural form. Pruning them so they never grow out of some cookie-cutter round shape isn't natural.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon