Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2006, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Does machine 'operating weight' include bucket?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a cat skid steer in the next 2 weeks. I just want to make sure that i can tow what i buy. When they list the 246b operating weight at 7142lbs is that with or without a bucket? Full tank of fuel and fluids?

Matt
Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt:

First of all, a bucket for a 246 is only going to weight 4-500 lbs. Fluids, you got a 22 gallon fuel tank, fuel 7 lbs a gallon, so add 150 lbs or so. Crankcase oils and anti freeze, what can that weigh, another 20 lbs???

What's your trailer capacity?

I thought most listed weight on machinery is fluidless. I'm not sure though.
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

According to ISO7131, operating mass is defined as "Mass of the base machine with all standard equipment, operator (75 kg +/- 3kg), full fuel tank, full lubricating, hydraulic and cooling systems, and, where provided, with empty bucket, body, or bowl."

SAEJ1234 says, "Operating performance measurements shall be made with the base machine and its equipment, without payload, with full fuel, lubricating, cooling and hydrualic systems, and with a 75 kg (175 lb) operator."

The specifications *should* state the machine's operating weight condition (eg with what fluids, operator, attachment, etc).
Old 03-28-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that is a wet weight. it means with all the fluids fill to compacity. but does not include the bucket. because technicly that is just a work tool not standard equipment. and just a fyi your trailer is derated for safty reasons if it says 7000lb capacity i wouldn't worry about putting 8-10,000lbs on it. most things like this are rated at 2/3 for the fact of people over loading them. now if you load somthing and you see the tounge bending i would say don't do it. but if the springs still have travel and it seems well i would go with it
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

if you look in a cat brochure.....it states that the weights include a bucket, full fuel tank and a operator.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
and just a fyi your trailer is derated for safty reasons if it says 7000lb capacity i wouldn't worry about putting 8-10,000lbs on it.
Until you get stopped by the DOT, or get in an accident, and they determine you're exceeding the GVWR of your trailer.... Remember, in the real world, stuff happens...

If you're putting that machine on a 10000lb. trailer, you should be fine. I wouldn't put it on any less of a trailer.

What other have said about the weight being the machine, plus fluids, plus bucket, plus operator is they way I understand it as well.

Joe
Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea it hard to support purposely over loading a trailer. I am no saint and have done it on occasions but I always try to buy more trailer than I need at the time to compensate for future needs. The other issue is 12K trailers and above are built to take a little more abuse. With 16" tires or better and more heavier duty brakes/frames etc. Trailers less than 12K from my experience tend to be too light for construction and typically are more car haulers than equipment movers to start with. So I guess I would be less inclined to overload such a light trailer to begin with.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a novel thought which would solve your impending problem. It does not happen often, but a few times a year our Cat rep gets a sale where the pesrson is budgeted out and has no money for a heavier trailer to fit the machine they bought. It is entirely possible to finance a trailer through your Cat finance package, the salesman just has to get creative as to how it is written up. That is what I might be thinking about doing in a situation like this.
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 03-29-2006, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra_Glide
Until you get stopped by the DOT, or get in an accident, and they determine you're exceeding the GVWR of your trailer.... Remember, in the real world, stuff happens...

If you're putting that machine on a 10000lb. trailer, you should be fine. I wouldn't put it on any less of a trailer.

What other have said about the weight being the machine, plus fluids, plus bucket, plus operator is they way I understand it as well.

Joe

I would never put 10K on a 7K trailer...that's asking for trouble..
Old 03-29-2006, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Always have the proper sized trailer for the load you want you actually want a decent sized buffer zone. Say your machine weighs 8000lbs get a trailer that will carry 12,000lbs or 10,000lbs.

You flatlanders don't know what trying to decend 10% grades with poor brakes its not nice whatsoever. You can pretty much taste the seat of your truck in the back of your throat from the pucker factor

When your stepping on the brakes and its not doing anything then you know your overloaded.