Register free!

Old 03-28-2006, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Highway billboard?

I have the chance to place an ad on a 2 sided billboard on a highway in Forsyth County Georgia. This is one of the fastest growing counties in the US. Price: $150.00 per month.

Thought about using it for my landscape lighting side of the business. I'm not looking to expand much more in lawn care.

What would you expect from an ad like this? Have any of you tried this form of advertising?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never done it, but I know those that have. They said that it did not translate directly into sales. However, it is increased exposure. It helps with name recog and branding. That is typically what that type of advertinsing will offer you.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
I have never done it, but I know those that have. They said that it did not translate directly into sales. However, it is increased exposure. It helps with name recog and branding. That is typically what that type of advertinsing will offer you.
I agree. I have never used them either because around here they want from $400-$600 a month. There is no way that I would pay that!! Is that price of $150 for both sides?

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-28-2006, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul
I agree. I have never used them either because around here they want from $400-$600 a month. There is no way that I would pay that!! Is that price of $150 for both sides?
Yes, I'm thinking about all of the profiling I'll have to do!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree also.
If I may offer a suggestion. Here is what I would do with that money instead. I would offer to individually take landscape contractors out to lunch. Inform them you are starting a lighting business and would really like them to refer you to anyone who might be interested. Give them a cut on any job you get. If they do any kind of parade of homes or something similiar where the public views open houses maybe set up a demo for the week with your sign.
Since I am already in the landscaping business I am going to work our new customers along with previous customers on selling them lighting. Once I get a system or two installed then I'm hoping word of mouth advertising kicks in as well. I think these methods are the best way to sell this service.
Anyone agree?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree also.
If I may offer a suggestion. Here is what I would do with that money instead. I would offer to individually take landscape contractors out to lunch. Inform them you are starting a lighting business and would really like them to refer you to anyone who might be interested. Give them a cut on any job you get. If they do any kind of parade of homes or something similiar where the public views open houses maybe set up a demo for the week with your sign.
Since I am already in the landscaping business I am going to work our new customers along with previous customers on selling them lighting. Once I get a system or two installed then I'm hoping word of mouth advertising kicks in as well. I think these methods are the best way to sell this service.
Anyone agree?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Sponsor

nlminc,

$150 per month is cheap for such big visibility. (A full color, full page magazine ad can run into the thousands!) Of course, I'm assuming there would be a graphics charge on top of that. Keep in mind that one of the biggest hurdles in landscape lighting is that in many parts of the country, homeowners have never even seen a great lighting job. I've had a couple contractors take our photos and blow them up on billboards, I don't know their ROI, but I'm guessing that the brand exposure was well worth it.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

At $150 for both sides, you can hardly pass that up!! I have paid $1200 for a quarter page add in a high end magizine before, so $75 per side of a billboard is nothing. If you sell one job a month off of it, and that client is happy and tells a friend? It could work very well.

As Steve said, see how much they are charging for design though. They could kill the deal there.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul
At $150 for both sides, you can hardly pass that up!! I have paid $1200 for a quarter page add in a high end magizine before, so $75 per side of a billboard is nothing. If you sell one job a month off of it, and that client is happy and tells a friend? It could work very well.

As Steve said, see how much they are charging for design though. They could kill the deal there.
Heck, at $150 a month and it doesn't sell one job a month the exposure would be incredible. It would make other forms of advertising stand out amoung the crowd and would definitely increase name recognition when it comes to that particular service. People have definitely paid more to receive less. I just wouldn't expect the phones to ring off the hook doing this type of advertising. Do it with the right expectations and I think it will do wonders for your biz.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with paul. Just the set up charges for the billboard would be rather high. I would think (unless the whole area is your target market) your going to spend a ton of time either running around or pre qualifying your leads.

Even if something direct cost a bit more if your going for bookings I would directly target your market. The billboard would definatly get your name and website out there tho. Just besure your guns are loaded (ready to handle the volume and your websites up and cruising) before you launch something like that.

Let us know and send pics if you decide to do it!

ps if you have a regular scaper you work with see if they would be willing to split the board ???? just a thought.