Register free!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Advertising

I talked with a distributor about a local company in DFW that's really busy. This is the company I am trying to model right now. I believe he is doing somewhere between 30 and 50 installs a month. He spends about $12k a month on advertising. I haven't seen any billboards, but it seems that depending on the area it would be really high exposure and for that price the least you could do is try it for a couple of months. Seems like you would know, when they say ya, we saw your billboard.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty
I talked with a distributor about a local company in DFW that's really busy. This is the company I am trying to model right now. I believe he is doing somewhere between 30 and 50 installs a month. He spends about $12k a month on advertising. I haven't seen any billboards, but it seems that depending on the area it would be really high exposure and for that price the least you could do is try it for a couple of months. Seems like you would know, when they say ya, we saw your billboard.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes
How many crews is that guy running? He must have at least 6. Man, I don't know how you could even design that many systems. More power to him I guess.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-30-2006, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul
How many crews is that guy running? He must have at least 6. Man, I don't know how you could even design that many systems. More power to him I guess.
Seems many guys dont really put thought into thier design. Just plop some spots in key areas... toss some paths in ... do a bit of uplighting.... looks WAY better than the solar malibus they replaced and they get paid and they are out.

unless these are tract homes where many are the same. Then it wouldnt be hard if they were smaller systems and you could knock out several a day with some good crews and all the same designs.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I know he has 3 electricians and at least 6 other employees in the feild.
He also has him and his partner. He has a storefront and a couple of employees at the office. Other than that I don't know. He is charging $255 a fixture and using Garden Light I think. He is raking in some money I know that. He works all of Dallas Fort Worth area. He has had the business 8 years I believe.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got a sample of that Garden Light stuff. I guess you could make a fortune at $255 per fixture with that product.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 04-01-2006, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would sign a year contract for $150 a month! I paid $1350 a month for my one sided billboard last year. People still remember it now a year later. Anybody that says your money can be better spent somewhere else has lost their mind. $150 a month is pennies in the bucket. If you ask me... it is like pissing down-wind, you can't go wrong! If you have lettered trucks, yellow pages, and flyers it will really really work for you.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Travis, I admire your level of excitement. Think of it this way. I am originally from Stlouis Mo. There is a car dealership "Plaza Motors" sells the finest cars, if they don't have it, they will get it...porsche, ferrari, rolls royce etc. they do little advertising and have little competition. Then there all the others, billboards, radio spots, newspaper...everday all the time. Both are making great money. But one works alot harder and has more headaches.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bet you can guess which one. Overhead, overhead, and more overhead. More work doesn't necessarily equal better profits and more importantly to us a better quality of job. I would seriously think about what you want to sell...Chevy's or Rolls Royce. It will take longer to earn a reputation selling the Rolls but once you get there you can be more selective about the jobs you choose to do.
chris
Old 04-01-2006, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Travis, I asked you this question on a different thread, what are you doing now for your primary income...landscaping, irrigation etc??? If doing something else this puts you in a unique position not to have to push so hard. Not getting yourself into the situation of being just another guy that sticks fixtures in the ground. Landscape Lighting is an art..but trying to meet the bottom line and set the world on fire will erode creativiy.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have worked a deal where my wife works and I work part time for a moving company as a move coordinator while juggling my little one. I am not trying to give the impression that I am interested in moving 60 jobs a month just sticking crappy lights in the ground. If I did I appologize. If I wanted to do it that way I would use malibu. I am using a combination Vista and Cast product only because the cast seems very durable. I am giving a very specific sizable warranty. But while I am not interested in just showing up and sticking fixtures in the ground I am very interested in doing a lot of jobs and hiring installers while me and my partner do the designing. I guess I am not thinking huge but I am thinking big.
For now just hammering out the flyers is getting me calls. I have started from absolute zero one month ago and will do my fifth bid Monday and installed my first job last week. What I am doing is working. Just a little slower than I would like. I am interested in getting involved with LVLIA (?) and getting certified through them. Right now I am just busting my arse if you will and starting from ground zero.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes