Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

getting very busy....

well I got a few thousand 6" annuals dropped off today....I'll try to post pics in the morning... Too bad I wasnt done putting up shade house ARG....Once these are in the ground the second few thousand arrive....I hate this time of year....

we have a prayer for peace, a two day event with stages and 6000 chairs next wed and thurs onthe front lawn, Universty wide picnic and game day on friday and saturday. and two weeks after that commencement on the same lawn area then student move out.....30 days of sheer terror..... and to top it off, one of my employees decided to run over some lady with his golf cart today....so we know I got nothing done..... but I'm better now and a steak.

thansk fro the vent
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Marc, how'd your tulips come out? We've been planting flats of impatiens at our sites. How often do you change out your annuals?

Sorry to hear about the lady getting run over. My latest depositions have concerned a woman who had dragged a broken picnic table onto one of our fields and impaled her leg onto the exposed support, and before that we had some kids remove some irrigation heads from a baseball field, and then a woman stepped into the hole and broke her leg.

I've got some Queen palm trees (Arecastrum romanzoffianums) that are dying. They were just planted a couple of months ago. There is no indication of pests or disease, so it has to be human-caused, and since I'm the Big Plant Kahuna of the District, it's on me to figure it out. I'm leaning towards inadequate drainage.

Sorry to hijack your post. I guess I too needed to vent to someone who knows about this stuff.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Rough week.

I also hate this time of year. Luckily I just hired 2 employees to replace 2 that quit last month, one of which was my assistant manager. These 2 new employees look to be really good.

I delayed our annuals til the 1st of May. We usually plant at this time in April but alot of times our grower has some things she doesn't want to ship because they aren't ready.

How did you tulips turn out? Where do you get them? I have tried them a couple of times but not recently. The last time we planted them they didn't come up or bloom uniformly and look like crap. Do you plant them to come up in your pansies or do you leave a spot in the back of the beds just for tulips?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

good news is I took pics of the tulips. bad news is I can't find the CD...I don't do many pansies. they just end up looking like absolute hell. but in the few bed we put pansies in pansies we plant the pansies on top the bulbs.

I do 2 annual rotation. spring and fall, although the fall is mostly bulbs we do some mums and some pansies, only a few thousand.

I get my bulbs from Brett and Becky's or Langeveld
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundsGuy
I've got some Queen palm trees (Arecastrum romanzoffianums) that are dying. They were just planted a couple of months ago. There is no indication of pests or disease, so it has to be human-caused, and since I'm the Big Plant Kahuna of the District, it's on me to figure it out. I'm leaning towards inadequate drainage.
I don't know the situation but I haver never seen a Queen Palm die of too much water, maybe it is in a swamp. Here if we get a cold spell in the winter they will frost but it is not evident until it gets warm and they are not able to move the water to the frawns. Then they begin to brown out. I would check the crown and if there is any green, you might try a Mauget injection.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Grips

I run a public sports complex and the batting cages are a magnet for going over the fence at night and throwing 500 balls in the parking lot, nothing like starting your day out picking up balls!!!!!!!!! My tulips looked good for 1 week then 95, for four days killed them off so on to the potato vines and grasses........It must be the beging of a grouchy season..................
Old 04-21-2006, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim Creations
I run a public sports complex and the batting cages are a magnet for going over the fence at night and throwing 500 balls in the parking lot, nothing like starting your day out picking up balls!!!!!!!!! My tulips looked good for 1 week then 95, for four days killed them off so on to the potato vines and grasses........It must be the beging of a grouchy season..................
Balls are eaiser to pick up the broken beer bottle, plasitc cups, bottles fillied with liquid other than beer, but still looks like beer. Oh forgot to mention the rubbers....

I have to put barricades around some of my more open beds, otherwise the kids will shortcut throuh them....
Old 04-21-2006, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
Oh forgot to mention the rubbers....
LOL.... I should have taken a picture. Was doing an irrigation system walkthrough on the parking lot planters at one of our high schools Monday and came across a whole box of Trojans laying on the ground. They were new but the packets had been torn open. Guess someone was practicing how to open them... maybe one handed.