Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Mr.Mow-It-All's Avatar
Mr.Mow-It-All Mr.Mow-It-All is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yo Mamma's House
Posts: 509
Honda generator?

I was at Home Chepo today and saw that they had a 4000 watt generator with a honda 8 hp engine and it was only $599, It said reg, $1399. I don't know much about generators but do know that seems pretty cheap and thinking of buying it just to have. Is there something I missing?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Albemarle Lawn Albemarle Lawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 1,546
Sam's club $899 13HP Honda 6500 Watt

As long as there is not a hurricane, Y2K, etc, generators come down in price quite a bit. They definitely are seasonal trends at winter and cheaper in spring/summer.

Thing with "cheap" generators is that the alternator is usually rather low-grade and does not produce very "clean" power....lots of distortion.

I think that price sounds good for a Honda, I would just be leary of using it to power electronics.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,484
If it's a Honda/Honda generator (meaning it's a Honda engine and a Honda generator head) then that's a killer price and I would ask why it's so cheap. That price is below what a dealer would pay for a Honda 4000 watt generator and The Home Depot is in this for the money.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Mr.Mow-It-All's Avatar
Mr.Mow-It-All Mr.Mow-It-All is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yo Mamma's House
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
If it's a Honda/Honda generator (meaning it's a Honda engine and a Honda generator head) then that's a killer price and I would ask why it's so cheap. That price is below what a dealer would pay for a Honda 4000 watt generator and The Home Depot is in this for the money.
I don't believe that the generator it self is a honda brand, just the motor I think. Still seems like a good price, one of my dealers sells hondas and I had noticed that they have those small quiet ones that are 1000 watt for 6-700.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mow-It-All
I don't believe that the generator it self is a honda brand, just the motor I think. Still seems like a good price, one of my dealers sells hondas and I had noticed that they have those small quiet ones that are 1000 watt for 6-700.
Yeah, usually the non Honda generator heads are nowhere nearly as dependable as a true Honda generator. Honda also makes some less quiet engines that are every bit as loud as a Briggs or Tecumseh engine. You get what you pay for.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2006, 07:00 PM
mike lane lawn care's Avatar
mike lane lawn care mike lane lawn care is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lenox, MA
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albemarle Lawn
As long as there is not a hurricane, Y2K, etc, generators come down in price quite a bit. They definitely are seasonal trends at winter and cheaper in spring/summer.

Thing with "cheap" generators is that the alternator is usually rather low-grade and does not produce very "clean" power....lots of distortion.

I think that price sounds good for a Honda, I would just be leary of using it to power electronics.
if you worry about un-clean power, then use a power conditioner, or a line filter
__________________
"Your Lawn is Unique, Your Lawn Care Provider Should Be Too"

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Mr.Mow-It-All's Avatar
Mr.Mow-It-All Mr.Mow-It-All is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yo Mamma's House
Posts: 509
My ???? is mainly do you think it would be worth buying. I don't realy have a need for one, just thought for the money it might be worth having around.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 AM
J&R Landscaping's Avatar
J&R Landscaping J&R Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 5,096
If you don't plan on using it regularly, I think it weill do ok for emergency use. Is it powered by a true genuine HONDA engine or one of the knock offs like what pepboys sells?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Mr.Mow-It-All's Avatar
Mr.Mow-It-All Mr.Mow-It-All is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yo Mamma's House
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R Landscaping
If you don't plan on using it regularly, I think it weill do ok for emergency use. Is it powered by a true genuine HONDA engine or one of the knock offs like what pepboys sells?
I didn't look that closely, just noticed that the engine said honda on it. How do I tell if it is a knock off?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Lawn Masters's Avatar
Lawn Masters Lawn Masters is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hudson Florida
Posts: 852
I say buy it. I've got a generator powering my shop, since theres no local source of electrical wires to run power to it, I just put a genset in there, along with a compressor, grinder, and the basic small stuff I normally need. works pretty good, plus in hurricane season, I've got backup power for the house too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.10118 seconds with 7 queries