Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2006, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Member

my story

I started lawncare 2-3 years ago after a couple of my neighbors asked me about using their equipment and cutting their grass. Sometime before that i had been given a pretty old push mower by the lady across the street when she moved. It didn't run 100% but it was enough to get the job done. Sadly that mower never seen any work as far as lawncare goes.

It's currently sitting outside by my house with the engine off and partially dismantled. I plan to sand down the deck and put some fresh paint on it pretty soon (Painting it a hobby of mine. I mostly paint bike frames since my friends and i ride freestyle bmx.) I've decided that once the paint is finished,i'll put some new wheels on the mower and rebuild the old (Got to be 1980-1990 or so.) engine and get it running nicely. Once i get that done i'll use it for lawncare as needed.

I've only done lawncare seriously for about 1 year. Right now i use a 22" Murray push mower & a Weedeater fl20 trimmer. I rarely do tree trimming since i'm not liscensed,but when i do i use a Poulan Pro 16" gas chainsaw. At the moment i have 2 customers that i did work for last season and i hope to get 5-10 more pretty soon once i place my classified ad.

By next season i'm planning to purchase an old pickup to use solely as a work truck,along with a decent sized trailer. Also by next season i'll be purchasing a riding mower w/ bagger so i can do more. By then i'll probaly be hiring a friend of mine to help with the work aswell.

As much as i'd like to think i know everything,i realize i don't. With that said,i'm looking forward to learning from those of you who have been doing lawncare for a lot longer than i have. With the knowledge you guys can teach,i feel confident i can succeed
Old 03-29-2006, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Might want to watch out hiring a "buddy" to work for you!!!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Do an honest job and don't low ball the crap out of the competion and the business and all of us will treat you very well!

Good Luck to you!
Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I always do a good job. And i'm not sure if i'm lowballing the competition or not. I just try to give the cheapest price i can whle still making enough money. My friend in question has worked with me on 1 or 2 jobs before. Besides a little inexperience he's good.