Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Estimates

what is your guys take on getting a call asking for a free estimate for weekly lawn maintenance or a landscaping job and the customer just says put it in the mailbox and I'll get back to you (yes I know its illegal)

The estimate is free for them and cost me money and time in many ways IMO why should I waste my time and money when they can't take the time for a simple face to face 5-10 min chat.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I won't waste my time with shoppers. If they can't take a few min. then neither can I.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree completely. I've gotten a couple of calls this week from my flyer distribution asking me to do just that. At the very least, I will not leave it for them but will call. I think some of these people already have a company doing their lawn and want to use you as a farting post to negotiate with their current provider. At least if I can give it to them over the phone, I can SELL. Can't do that by leaving a piece of paper with a number on it.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightergw
I agree completely. I've gotten a couple of calls this week from my flyer distribution asking me to do just that. At the very least, I will not leave it for them but will call. I think some of these people already have a company doing their lawn and want to use you as a farting post to negotiate with their current provider. At least if I can give it to them over the phone, I can SELL. Can't do that by leaving a piece of paper with a number on it.
yeppers, how can a piece of paper sell itself is my thinking, Glad I'm not alone in thinking they are a time waster
Old 03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i tell, all the people that call me , that i need to talk with them in person, so they can show me what they want done and their prop, lines, to ensure a proper estimate. and if they say, cant you just look at it? no i cant. like was said above. price shoppers, if they cant take the time, I'm not going to waist mine!!! i had a call, we spoke for about 10min in that time , she said free estimate 30 times, my response, are you really interested in my services, or do you already have some one? then the truth comes out!!!
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 03-31-2006, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now see in my situation I would ask for the callers # (home, cell or work), go do the estimate leaving a price in her door, and calling back that night. I need all the opportunities I can get right now and I sure won't close the door on that opportunity. I mean who knows? Maybe they are shopping around. Maybe they will like your price/features and hire you?
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-31-2006, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozd12005
what is your guys take on getting a call asking for a free estimate for weekly lawn maintenance or a landscaping job and the customer just says put it in the mailbox and I'll get back to you (yes I know its illegal)

The estimate is free for them and cost me money and time in many ways IMO why should I waste my time and money when they can't take the time for a simple face to face 5-10 min chat.
Well, if you want the work you will do it. I have had people ask me to do this, and I have gotten the jobs. If you don't want to deal with that, you shouldn't be in this business.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the way we do things around here. Put you price on the form and stick it in the door and off you go.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As of now, I do not leave a price on their door or anywhere else for that matter. I tell them when I speak to them on the phone that I will call them back after I view and measure the property. I ask them on the initial phone call about gates, dogs, and any special things I should know before I visit. I am polite and explain how I do my estimates and most customers are good with that. When I call them back, I tell them what I saw, what my recommendations are and my price for what they originally asked for ( I have a form from which I ask questions). If the price is high, or they want to change something, I can do it on the fly and attempt to make my sale right then, instead of them having a set price on a piece of paper. I found it works better for me right now.
Greensboro NC
Old 04-02-2006, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jim
Well, if you want the work you will do it. I have had people ask me to do this, and I have gotten the jobs. If you don't want to deal with that, you shouldn't be in this business.
Dam 2 yrs in the biz and knows all about dealing with people and can even tell which ones should or should not be in the business