Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2006, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Help the new guy (again)

Ok, looks like I am in need of a ztr. One that will last and last. For the price I want this to be my last mower and I would like yalls imput. The ? is, Deere or Kubota. Or maby Toro. Kohler or Kawasaki?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Either one will serve you well. I have all Deere equipment
Old 03-09-2006, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's you budget and how much do you have to cut?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My only question is: Why a ztr? I am a die hard Hustler fan. Really love the machines and what they do. But if I was a homeowner and I had the money to get a ztr, I'd get something like a John Deere X Series garden tractor or a similar Kubota. More flexibility with a tractor I think.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tractors don't git it on my property. I used my neighbors once last year and felt like I had to have every turn pre planned to get to that last small piece of grass...... plus I love to stripe my lawn.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can certainly understand that.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the size of your lawn (is it more than an acre, and how much more) you might consider a walk-behind with a velke, they're about half the price and you can stripe lawns with those just as well.

The wb cuts an acre in about 45 minutes with a 48" deck, you might consider the 52" float deck because it's easier to handle... Now if your property is 5 or 10 acres, at that point I'd say go with the Ztr.

Brand-wise, if you want the best, get a Dixie Chopper.

Far as motors, all my Wb's and the tiller have Kohler's, those motors rock and roll time after time thou I do run synthetic racing blend motor oil and 95 octane leaded. The Kawasaki is slightly more expensive and I dare assume it is also a better motor, but the Kohler is no joke, either one is a quality motor. I recently had the opportunity to test-drive a Toro dingo (walk-behind bucket loader) with a Kohler, and I ran that thing for about 4 hours and loved it, I'm stuck on Kohler but would not hesitate to recommend either.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Well it goes something like this. I farm so I have lots of tractors and a finish mower but like yall said it's a little big for the yard. And why ztr (speed). Oh and this is for the boss to use. I'm cutting hay most of the time so she cuts the grass. But if we had a nice new mower maby I could talk her into letting me play with it. I have a dealer for deere,kubota, toro, snapper,and bush hog. of those I like the deere or kubota but I don't here much about the kubota. It has a different deck mount than the others, clutch,and trany. I just don't know if it's the best machine for the buck. We only cut 2-3 acre and I know this is alot of cash but it will make her happy not to spend all day doing it.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Deere makes a fine machine, how much are you looking to spend? Lots of questions, I know, but we can help you out much more with more information.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a JD 717 and traded up to a 727...I also have Kubota L3410 tractor, both are great machines