Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

now thats a first for me

today i had one customer cancel because i would not mow if it did not need it. well he wanted it mowed every week regardless of whether it was brown or not. i told him it would hurt the grass if if i did that. Here's what pissed me off. He said no it would not and im just s stupid lawn mow man, thats all i am and i dont know jack **** about grass. well form there it got heated, he said stop the agreement asap, i said i can't, read the termination clause. he said what clause. you did not read it when you signed it did you? No i did not, why? i need a 30 day notice so you still oue me for April! (now hes pissed off even more. well its not my fault he did not read it.) so he still says just stop the contract. i say if i do its a breach of agreement and a lien will go on the house for your bill + late fee(was due by today) and $100 filing fee for the court. At the point decided to pay me my $120 and just not have me show up anymore, instead of paying a $270 lien. My Point is make you customers read the Agreement in front of you not later like they say they will.

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 03-31-2006, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, I wished I had problems like this! I went to 2 yards this week that really did not need mowing, mostly scattered weeds and dry grass, no rain in weeks. Clients asked me not to mow them so I just wasted my time and gas. I had much rather cut it if Im already there and its their scheduled day. Our 2 biggest lawn companies here cut them no matter how wet,dry,dead or whatever because they are contracted to do so and will NOT skip under no circumstances. Im trying to get clients like you have! Give them what they want as long as they pay and its not unreasonable or dangerous. Afraid Im going to have to agree with your client here. However, your grass may be different from my area, I have never hurt a lawn cutting it when its brown, comes back fine soon as the rain hits it.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why dident you simply say OK?You got yourself in a useless argument by not giving the customer what he wanted.Bad business.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

i don't understand this at all. you had a signed agreement, the customer wanted it cut. why not mow it and keep the customer. 1 irate customer will tell more people than 10 happy ones.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry to hear this happen to you, I have had similar problems where a customer insists on me doing something that I know is detrimental. I've always done exactly what you did (with few exceptions) and that is to refuse to do something that will hurt the end result. I feel like you and to this date have never changed my policy of refusing to do work such as in the above example. It's a catch-22, you know it's trouble one way or the other, so I find I'm better off if at least I do nothing, then if they don't pay, I'm not out any money <- Because that's what happens next.

The few times I made the exception, several of those times I got burned when the customer then complained about the problem. Of course I had told them, but that's not the problem see... We're talking about someone walks into McDonald's and wants the meat cooked for 10 minutes for example, and assume this will burn the meat to a crisp charcoal. After the customer is informed of this and they continue to insist, the employee does as told and as soon as the customer gets the product, they start to raise caine about it being burned, despite having been told and regardless of what you tell them now, you have a problem <- That is the problem.

I've been there brother, more than once lol ! Best I can tell you is part ways, which apparently you did with a degree of financial success that's better than my average in those pesky deals. This kind of crap comes around once every year or so, for me.

I really dislike getting into those situations, there appears to be no predicting it because I can't see this coming, but come around it does. This is the reason why I never agree to work for someone who apparently drinks heavily (such as when they're drunk at the time of the estimate). It has been my experience that although most anyone can become a nutcase at some point in their lives, the above scenario is considerably more likely with an alkie.

Last edited by topsites; 03-31-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpjumper
i don't understand this at all. you had a signed agreement, the customer wanted it cut. why not mow it and keep the customer. 1 irate customer will tell more people than 10 happy ones.
Yeah so then the lawn dies and they're really irate now and it's all your fault!

I had someone wanted me to trim an ornamental grass all the way down to the dirt. It didn't make a lot of sense so I walked over to the ornamental grass and looked at them, pointed at the whole area and asked: You want me to cut this down with the weed-eater, all the way down? And they said yes, that is what I want you to do, so I went ahead and did it. About a month later out they come while I'm working and start throwing a fit about how could I be so stupid as to cut down a beautiful ornamental grass (forget the name, it was a flowery kind), and of course I told this person that they not only asked me to do so but that I even stood there (and I even repeated the entire process) and asked for confirmation, to which they told me that is what they wanted me to do.
Needless to say, I was fired.

So about the only thing I can figure is this is some folks'es way of firing you. They can't say outright that they no longer need your services, so they do it this way... But no, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

That, and I would've been better off at the time refusing to do what I did, other than I got one or two more paid services out of them.
When this happens, it's usually trouble that's brewing. Why, I haven't a clue.
However, I strongly enforce my policy of refusal in such cases, more so now than ever...
I'd rather be fired right then and there and be done with it, thank you now.

Last edited by topsites; 03-31-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing to have done IMO is just add an amendment to the contract (agreement) that the grass is to be cut regardless and should any damage arise from performing the customers request you are not responsible. This way you keep the customer happy, you cover your ass and you put $$$ in your pocket. Now you got zilch.
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-31-2006, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just settle up with the guy and move on. Why turn this into a battle over your clauses? Not even April yet, just part ways and be done with him.

And just mow it if that's what they want. It's just grass, if he don't care you don't care
Old 03-31-2006, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ok i forgot to say i bill on month forward, and if he wanted it cut like that he should have told me when he signed! when i went over what i do each week he said nothing. at that moment i said if i show up and it does not need to be mowed i dont mow it i just do my normal edge, trim, & blow part.

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 03-31-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

you always need to mow or 'make noise' as we call it even if its not neccessary. leave lines at the very least.