Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2006, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm the bad guy.

When a customer tries to get over on me and I catch them, I'm the bad guy... Doesn't matter how or what happened, they weren't doing anything wrong and now they badmouth me, too. I know, how dare I, I am such a bad guy.

When I make a change that benefits most but negatively affects a few (and usually the bottom of the barrel), I'm the bad guy...

When I ask the customer to cover half the blind spot while I cover the other half, I'm the bad guy for not covering the whole thing by myself.

If my bid isn't right down to the wire, not only am I the bad guy but it really would've been nice if my estimate had been somewhere below the wire.

If I raise my prices (which I did) to the level of what I know a guy used to charge 10 years ago, it's beyond bad. Unbelievable, the nerve I must have.

When I make a decision to protect my business against someone who wanted to test-drive it, I should be hanged for this.

When I buy a new mower for the class A and B lawns, I'm a great guy until I refuse to run it through class F yards... At least the upper echelon is still on my side on this one thou.

When a customer refers their best friend to me and I am unwilling to bend over backwards and work for free in exchange for this magnificent favor they are both doing for me, I am not just bad but they both drop me in favor of someone 'nicer.'

When I categorically refuse to accept a job because it's on the customers terms instead of my own, omg... RUN !!!!

Nothing else matters...
Daily maintenance, new machines, sharp blades, fresh synthetic racing oil and high octane clean-burning fuel I can see why not.
But...
Same-day estimates, time-of-call - to -work-completion frame 3 days or less, fit you in if I can on whatever day, cut your grass when it needs it without gouging you with 'weekly' cuts when I know it only needs it every 12-14 days, call me anytime (even 4am) thou I did get upset ONE time around 2 am someone caught me bad, but still...
Never run a machine before 9am, never after dark, never work on a yard on Sundays (at least not residential), the truck never drips oil in their driveway because I either park on the street or lay down a tarp to catch any... Maybe I raise prices but always steady as she goes throughout the year, you paid 30 in March, you pay 30 in September, plenty of advance notice, maybe a raise once in five years!
None of this matters.
I'm always the bad guy.
Just something's been messing with me the past few days.

Last edited by topsites; 04-02-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites..these are all just regular operating situations that we all come across..we try to deal with them in a professional manner..and that is to resolve any conflict quicky and fairly and move on..
if we took what some of our clients personal opinions,grudges,or irritations as personal affronts..we would all go nuts!
Business is business you can't take it personaly.
THough I do feel you have customer communication problems and some attitude problems when it comes to diplomaticly dealing with different situations that arise during your everyday contact with customers and potential customers.
I feel the fact that you DO take things so personaly is one of your main issues that you need to work on within yourself.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites, reading all your posts, a familiar theme that comes up is that you have a serious attitude problem towards people in general.

I think this is why you always end up as the "Bad Guy"...

Try being nice, not losing your temper, and for the love of god stop wasting your money on high octane fuel
Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
When a customer tries to get over on me and I catch them, I'm the bad guy... Doesn't matter how or what happened, they weren't doing anything wrong and now they badmouth me, too. I know, how dare I, I am such a bad guy.

When I make a change that benefits most but negatively affects a few (and usually the bottom of the barrel), I'm the bad guy...

When I ask the customer to cover half the blind spot while I cover the other half, I'm the bad guy for not covering the whole thing by myself.

If my bid isn't right down to the wire, not only am I the bad guy but it really would've been nice if my estimate had been somewhere below the wire.

If I raise my prices (which I did) to the level of what I know a guy used to charge 10 years ago, it's beyond bad. Unbelievable, the nerve I must have.

When I make a decision to protect my business against someone who wanted to test-drive it, I should be hanged for this.

When I buy a new mower for the class A and B lawns, I'm a great guy until I refuse to run it through class F yards... At least the upper echelon is still on my side on this one thou.

When a customer refers their best friend to me and I am unwilling to bend over backwards and work for free in exchange for this magnificent favor they are both doing for me, I am not just bad but they both drop me in favor of someone 'nicer.'

When I categorically refuse to accept a job because it's on the customers terms instead of my own, omg... RUN !!!!

Nothing else matters...
Daily maintenance, new machines, sharp blades, fresh synthetic racing oil and high octane clean-burning fuel I can see why not.
But...
Same-day estimates, time-of-call - to -work-completion frame 3 days or less, fit you in if I can on whatever day, cut your grass when it needs it without gouging you with 'weekly' cuts when I know it only needs it every 12-14 days, call me anytime (even 4am) thou I did get upset ONE time around 2 am someone caught me bad, but still...
Never run a machine before 9am, never after dark, never work on a yard on Sundays (at least not residential), the truck never drips oil in their driveway because I either park on the street or lay down a tarp to catch any... Maybe I raise prices but always steady as she goes throughout the year, you paid 30 in March, you pay 30 in September, plenty of advance notice, maybe a raise once in five years!
None of this matters.
I'm always the bad guy.
Just something's been messing with me the past few days.

Just save this thread, print it out,frame it,think of it as a painting.Study it as if it were hanging in the louvre,and finally name it, how do I learn to be a businessman.

Last edited by 6'7 330; 04-03-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess what I am trying to say is there ARE ways to come out of these same situations looking to be the good guy and smelling like a rose...a smile,patients,humility,happy attitude,good words and thoughts all count as a +.Impatients,bad attitude,thinking everybody is out to screw you,and a screw the world attitude are BIG minuses
Old 04-03-2006, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
I guess what I am trying to say is there ARE ways to come out of these same situations looking to be the good guy and smelling like a rose...a smile,patients,humility,happy attitude,good words and thoughts all count as a +.Impatients,bad attitude,thinking everybody is out to screw you,and a screw the world attitude are BIG minuses
I hate to say it, but you nailed it
Old 04-03-2006, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, you surely are the Bad Guy
Old 04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have to admit though, what topsites says. We all been there.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, we all have been there. Just today a customer came out while I was trimming their back yard and asks for an estimate to trim some overgrown shrubs the back up to their fence. I give them their quote after taking a deeper look as to how thick the stuff is, etc. Right after I give the quote I get a NO!!! and the guy charges inside.

We are always the bad guy because we refuse to work for free. Not sure what he was expecting but the 5$ he prolly had in his head...lol... wouldnt even cover the gas for the job.

Dont let these ******s that we mow for get ya down topsites!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No that does not mean your the bad gut at all..all that means is he's not gonna pay that price to do the work..does not mean YOU are the bad guy at all...see it's all in how YOU percieve yourself and how you allow yourself to be percieved by others is all...It's a way you have to have about yourself.Hard to explain