we're mowing at 5/8" here with our rye, so 1.5" wouldn't do a thing :-P
Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

will on st aug.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Yeah so then the lawn dies and they're really irate now and it's all your fault!

I had someone wanted me to trim an ornamental grass all the way down to the dirt. It didn't make a lot of sense so I walked over to the ornamental grass and looked at them, pointed at the whole area and asked: You want me to cut this down with the weed-eater, all the way down? And they said yes, that is what I want you to do, so I went ahead and did it. About a month later out they come while I'm working and start throwing a fit about how could I be so stupid as to cut down a beautiful ornamental grass (forget the name, it was a flowery kind), and of course I told this person that they not only asked me to do so but that I even stood there (and I even repeated the entire process) and asked for confirmation, to which they told me that is what they wanted me to do.
Needless to say, I was fired.

So about the only thing I can figure is this is some folks'es way of firing you. They can't say outright that they no longer need your services, so they do it this way... But no, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

That, and I would've been better off at the time refusing to do what I did, other than I got one or two more paid services out of them.
When this happens, it's usually trouble that's brewing. Why, I haven't a clue.
However, I strongly enforce my policy of refusal in such cases, more so now than ever...
I'd rather be fired right then and there and be done with it, thank you now.
If I had a customer make an odd request like that, I would write it down and get a signiture on it. A release from THEIR stupidity, and my advice. That way, if and when the time comes you can just show them it in writing. Thats there signiture, thats THEIR problem. They make the requests and I deliver to the best of my ability, but I cover my a$$ the whole way through!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R Landscaping
If I had a customer make an odd request like that, I would write it down and get a signiture on it. A release from THEIR stupidity, and my advice. That way, if and when the time comes you can just show them it in writing. Thats there signiture, thats THEIR problem. They make the requests and I deliver to the best of my ability, but I cover my a$$ the whole way through!

Thats' exactly what I do. It works. I had a PITA customer a wahile back. Anything that you know the end result of that is bad practice on plants put it in writing. When You walk up to them with a folder and show them that signed paper, and the contract and clauses, it intimidates them and they know they are in the wrong. It's funny to see thier facial reactions when they see that signed paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!