search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2006, 05:34 PM
fishindude fishindude is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 43
power rake

does anyone know what a power rake is and how they work? I understand the simplicity of the question, but something a little more would be much appreciated. Are they easy to use? Can they be rented? Should I refer to someone more experienced? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Mike's Lawn & Snow's Avatar
Mike's Lawn & Snow Mike's Lawn & Snow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: St. Clair Shores MI
Posts: 362
You can rent a power rake at almost any rental store around here they will run you 45 bucks for 4 hours. It takes a little getting used to because you want to get enough of the dead grass out but at the same time do not want to tear up the green grass and mess up the root system but im sure if you did your own house first or a friends you would catch on fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:47 PM
fishindude fishindude is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 43
thanks for the tip. I have an echo attachable edger, trimmer, weed eater, etc, would you advice to get the power rake attachment? If so echo has three of them on their web site. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 AM
johngreen johngreen is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: iowa
Posts: 20
The ones I have used have 3 or 4 setting on them its like lowering the blade on a mower. You can start high and lower it until you see that you are getting thatch up. When you have it lower it will pull its self along. Turning it and hills are a little harder but it is easy to get use to.The part that takes time is raking all the dead grass up.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:45 AM
instyle instyle is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 380
around here we use a power vac to pick up the thatch.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
PaulJ's Avatar
PaulJ PaulJ is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, NE
Posts: 1,777
"Power rakes " come is three different versions. The most popular around hear is the flail rake which has swinging hammers rotating on the shaft and can really beet the heck out of the ground is set too deep. This is sometimes what is needed to combat a big thatch problem or level out uneven spots or prep for reseeding. The next is a slicer or verticutter which has fixed knives on the shaft instead of the hammers. Great for cutting trough and loosening the thatch. Not as invasive as the hammers and great for getting seed to the soil when overseeding. Another option is spring tines on the rotating shaft. This will bring up anything loose and at deeper settings still get the deep hard to reach stuff. Another option is a spring tine rake mounted on the front of a mower like the JRCO. That is what I use most of the time. I make several passes in different directions and the mower pics up the thatch as I go. less aggressive than a power rake but great for cleanups and maintenance. With any of these getting the depth set is a key. You want to pull up the thatch and dead/old grass but not a lot of green grass and soil.
Go to your dealer or rental store and look one over.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.08157 seconds with 10 queries