Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

When spindles go bad.....

I noticed that my spindles were getting loud at the end of last season, so I decided to do my own repair this spring. When I took the old ones out, I decided to look into what went wrong. I was expecting that bearings would be worn, but what I found was that the shaft actually was worn out in the areas where it contacts the upper and lower bearing. The bearings seem fine, but there is a 1/16 to 1/8 groove where the shaft meets the bearings.
Is this normal? The spindles are on a Ferris and are the non-greasble type. The new ones have a grease fitting on the top of the shaft. By the way, this unit has less than 150 hrs. on it, and it looks like all three spindles have the same problem.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

as far as i know from my limited personal experiance, spindles dont go bad in 150hrs. and as far as wear on the shaft goes, any is bad, and1/16 to 1/8 of an inch is what i might expect if the bearings froze and sand was added so its a good thing that the new ones have greasefittings.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you keep them full of grease they would have run a long time.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmacguyver
as far as i know from my limited personal experiance, spindles dont go bad in 150hrs. and as far as wear on the shaft goes, any is bad, and1/16 to 1/8 of an inch is what i might expect if the bearings froze and sand was added so its a good thing that the new ones have greasefittings.
Sounds like the bearings froze.....washing with high pressure might cause this?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Doctor
If you keep them full of grease they would have run a long time.

They are sealed bearings...

Sounds like they froze to me too.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

possible bad heat treating on the spindles? almost anything else would make the bearings AND the spindles fail. i'd check with the dealer and see if there's a recall or history of this trouble.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for the input. As far as I can tell, the bearings didn't freeze. After I disassembled them, I spun the bearings by hand and they feel as smooth as silk. The machine was washed frequently, but never power washed. There was no way to "keep them full of grease" because they are a sealed unit.
I think I tend to believe that the shafts are softer than they should be. The machine is out of warranty, so I guess I am out of luck. This whole thing is going to cost me about $285 plus my time and labor. I hope this isn't a sign of what the rest of the season is going to be like!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

talk to your dealer anyway. there is waht they call "good will warranty" where they may eat some or all of a questionable problem in order to keep a good customer. or there may have been a recall. car companies dont notify you unless its a safety hazard. and if you dont ask, then the answer is definately NO.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I checked all three of them, and they are all the same. I will contact Ferris directly to see if they have had other problems. My guess is that they have because the new ones I put in today are slightly different, and they ARE greasable.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, they did have problems with the non-greaseable spindles. We have replaced quite a few. If you are not that far out of warranty they might cover them. I've done a few that have been out of warranty. They are usually good about it because they knew they has a problem