Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2006, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill'em or smack'em.

I'm at an established customers house popping in a couple of bushes. Now these are nice people, but when the wife isn't around Hubby usually makes some kind of Dipsh!t comment. "You're gonna charge me wholesale + 10% for those bushes? Because you dont pay retail right!" Let's do some math. Two Ilexes $30 my cost. One hour round trip to get them. Use some skills to select the right bushes( 2 chinese holly). Lay out cash for bushes. Go and plant bushes. So basically, Snapperhead thinks I should make $3 on this job.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well have you explained that to him?That you charge retail then you have to add in your profit margin or you can't run your business?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hows he know your cost for the bushes? And did you tell him about your other cost. The guys gotta be jokin around.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My simple answer to this is I run a service-category business and you pay what I pay. The better my price, the lower your price because it's the same thing. The only thing you pay on top of that is labor because for me to earn a profit from the retail end of things involves a new license because my business is not classified as retail at all, only service.

And it is the truth, which usually works best.
If it's too wordy, make it shorter...
But it works.

If you're doing the markup bit to pay for your picking it up, you'd save yourself considerable hassle by simply charging a delivery fee (that would be a service) and just have them pay what it cost you, exact... And, it all goes under service for taxes.

Last edited by topsites; 04-01-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If he bought those same bushes at the nursery and hired them to install them, he would pay double the retail cost of the bush. So for that 1 $30 holly he would be paying $60 for and that doesn't include them removing anything.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Well have you explained that to him?That you charge retail then you have to add in your profit margin or you can't run your business?
I tried but how do you rebuttal something that ridiculous. I started to tell him that the difference between what I pay and retail covers the cost of delivery but I stopped in the middle and said I'd rather not discuss it. Like I said he spouts this stuff when the wife isn't around. For example, one day I'm pruning a mature tree by the street and he comes over and wants me to stop, move to the other side of the tree and cut a specific branch. I did it, but it was just annoyingly disruptive. You're working, got the pole pruner in hand, pull cord wrapped around your hand, seeing which branch to cut, thinking how it's going to blouse, thinking about the next three cuts, etc......