Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Holliday and Wedding lights

This was another Idea I had. Was curious if anyone else was doing this or not. I used to install Christmas lights in Beverly Hills when I lived in LA. It was big business. I am going to do it in this area this year. We also decorated for
Bar mitzvas and partys as well. My next thought was if you are in a big area you could set up a demo kit and White x-mas lights for outdoor weddings and such. I am thinking about going to speak with some wedding designers next week. We shall see. I am definitly doing X-mas lights this year though. My distributor is meeting with a Supplier next week and he is going to go through a class for us and a bid. I will be curious to see how they do things different.

Was curious to everyone's thoughts or experience in this area.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes
Old 04-01-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Just be really carful about routing cords and such. Make sure your insurance will specifically cover temporary installs. As of now my liability doesnt cover that but if we go that route I will add to our coverage.

Its certainly an extra liability as far as im concerned due to having exposed wires and such.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess that would be one of my biggest concerns is actually doing it legit. Me and a friend were just putting in lights off the cuff. I want to stay the straight and narrow since I have a legitament business now. But I must say that the profits were nice and it was actually kind of fun. My partner did it last year still in LA. We never had any problems with our lights and we didn't even use good quality stuff. Which I would do now.
Me and my partner there didn't even try that hard and we still made $4000-$6000 in a month or so. That's 7-13 jobs. Also if your only doing landscape lighting I would imagine it slows down a little in the winter so it might be a supplemental income.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes