Register free!

Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kill Fescue in Zoysia

Okay, pros -- I'm so far out in the boondocks that I have to be a do-it-yourselfer -- no one would come out this far to work on my place! That said, I love doing it, and if my equipment shed gets any fuller, I may decide to do some jobs on the side. (I know most of you are cringing at that, but I don't see a lot of SW MO locations, so hopefully I won't step on any toes).

I planted my approx. 1 acre yard in zoysia last summer. I was a little too late, and the zoysia took off pretty well, but went dormant before it was completely established. Now I have fescue clumps all over. I should have used glysophate before the zoysia started to break dormancy, but it has surprised me and is showing quite a bit of green already (Zoysia - "Companion") Is there anything I can use on the fescue clumps now that will not harm the zoysia? Or should I put up with it untll fall and use glysophate after the zoysia goes dormant? Your suggestions are appreciated. The guys that hang out at the irrigation forum got me through my sprinkler install. So I hope you renovation gurus don't mind a non-pro thread here.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

good post! Except I want to know how to get the zoysia out of my fescue. Sorry no help here.
bt
Old 04-03-2006, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a product called Corsair
Old 04-03-2006, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can still use Round Up on the fescue.Just spot spray directly in the center of each fescue clump.When the fescue dies back,the Zoysia will take over.
Make sure you don't drip any by holding your spray wand vertical as your moving from one place to another.
I do this all the time on bermuda,so don't worry about it.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator
a product called Corsair
Thanks. In researching Corsair I also found Revolver. I can get a quart of Revolver (need about a pint), but the minimum on Corsair is 2 quarts (and 350 bucks!). Revolver is going on next week. Pricey stuff, these super-selective herbicides. The quart is costing me $185.00, but I'll have enough to do this again in the fall if needed.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you will need it more than likely