Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Reformulated Gas (Gas w/ ethanol)?

Does anyone know if reformulated gas (rfg) affects the performance of 2 cycle equipment? Gas blended with up to 10% ethanol is making its way into Texas currently and there are some rumors about it affecting 2 cycle performance - any truth to them?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use it in everything EXCEPT two stroke engines. It does damage to the ports as the ethanol dries as it fires.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 04-19-2006, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used 10% ethenal in all my equipment for as long as I could buy it at the pump how'd you hear you can't use it in 2 stroke engines? I don't think I've ever had a problem I'm a big supporter of ethenal and biodiesel
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

i think its a law here that its 10% ethanol. all our pumps have stickers that say "gas contains up to 10% ethanol" or something to that effect.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

all the gas here in florida has 10% ethanol also. You may be thinking of E85 (thats 85% ethanol/15% gas) my truck will run on E85 but they dont sell it in Florida yet, only NASA and one other government agency has pumps here. But pumps are popping up all over the U.S. mostly in large cities. Vehicles that runn on E85 have metal gas lines and several other parts that are different. Its basically strong moonshine, made from corn. It does dry out rubber parts like gaskets and hoses. Best thing is its made in the U.S.A.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My sister runs 85% ethenal in her 2000 ford taurus she's had good luck and not much differnt in gas milage I highly suggest to anybody who can to start using ethenal support the U.S. economy rather than across seas!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We've been using reformulated fuels here for quite some time and we've been having problems for just as long. The main problem is a sudden lack of power in the tool you're using and it usually only seems to strike one machine at a time but I have seen other LCOs with as many as 3 blowers that just won't run. You'll be using the tool and suddenly the RPM drops off and it just kinda dies out. They'll restart and idle but the second you try to rev them up they die. Sometimes they'll do this for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, sometimes it's only for a few minutes. Then just as quickly as the problem appears it disappears. We've tried everything to fix them from different fuel, grades of fuel, oil, gas caps, plugs, fuel filters, fuel lines, fuel tank vents, replaced crankcase gaskets, replaced carbs, air filters, static compression tests, leakdown tests and new coils. We've had this happen on Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax and Craftsman.

The only commonality is the reformulated fuels.