Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2006, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Extremely Dry Turf

Hello all!

I have a customer with a somewhat steep graded front lawn with very dry turf. This will be my first major front lawn overhaul, so any suggestions will be appreciated! Most grass is dead and will need to be raked out and re-seeded. My question is, how would you handle 're-growing' a lawn on a very dry lot. The soil looks to be nice, no clay or rock, so i'm thinking no top soil is needed. (Probabally the size of a three car garage).

I was thinking somewhere along these lines:

1. Rake out entire lawn, dispose of dead grass.
2. Aerate, till soil and rip it up to prepare for seeding.
3. Spread fertilizer (any suggestions? I will be heading to LESCO)
4. Seed (Landscaper's or sun/shade mix)
5. Spread Straw on lawn (Is this necessary???)
6. Have customer water lawn on a regular basis until new growth emerges.

That's the game plan I was thinking about going with. Feel free to critique!

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

depending how steep the grade is you will have to be careful for wash out if there is a heavy rain. If you use sod then you can stake it in. With seed maybe throw in extra annual seed becuase of the quick germination time. It might help so the whole hill doesn't wash away.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

The grade isnt too steep, but there is a grade in the lawn. I'd say about 30-35 degrees. Not excessive, but may require some extra attention.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why is it so dry? why is it dead now? Peat moss would be good to add to help keep moisture in. You may want to do a soil test, atleast a ph test. If nothing else it shows a little professionalism and may impress the customer if nothing else.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

He just recently told me they had a 'Cicada Killer' Bee problem the last few years. The lawn flourished before the incident, but after the bee's burrowed into the ground, the lawn began to die off. There is not much left of the turf now, many bare spots, and the exhisting grass looks to be on its 'last legs'. A simple raking would probabally remove most, if not all exhisting grass on the property.

The bees have since been killed off by a professional, and this year the customer wants to get his lawn looking great again.

Would peat moss be spread over the top of the lawn over the seed? Is this better than straw?

wski4fun, thank you for your replies
Old 04-05-2006, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would use the straw also. Work the peat into the ground and throw some on top. It's cheap insurance. The straw will help with the run off when it rains. Make sure if there is any chance of heavy rain that you might have to go back and regrade and overseed at his expense of course. Also put it into the price to reseed anyways in the fall or following spring. Most new lawns need a reseeding. Try to get him on a fert program while you're at it. Good way to upsell if you can. Hope this helps