Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2006, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkplc
You could tell them that you love your wife and you wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your marriage, but I don't know how well that would work. They might take it wrong. Maybe just tell them that you don't feel comfortable working directly with a female. I dunno...that's a tough question.
Well I think that would pretty much scream discrimination right there...if you're really uncomfortable with the idea don't give 'em that reason.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a cleaning service, as well as doing landscape maintenance, and I've employed nothing but women for almost 10 years in that business. Some of what you think and hear of hiring women is true, some isn't. I'll give you a rundown on what I've learned.

1. Higher absentee rate compared to men.
2. Higher level of customer service as compared to men.
3. Attention to detail is better than men.
4. Very few women are interested in working 50+ hours a week due to our culture of women taking care of families. Would you want to work 50 hours a week then go home and take care of a family? 30 hours per week seems like a good number for most.
5. Easier to higher part time workers who are women for reason #4.
6. Sexual harrassment charges are a myth if you keep it professional. Don't even have to worry about it.
7. Higher problems with working relationships between women than men.

These are observations of mine over a decade and are not intended to paint a picture of every woman.

My suggestion is that you treat women like any other employee. Personally it's all about money to me, if they are a women and I can make money off of them I'll hire them.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here we go again...I see lawn companies in town that hire females....

and I will tell you what I see...I see a bunch of flirting, grabazzing, and taking long lunches at KFC...I saw a guy and two girls from a local lawn company bullcrapping for well over an hour at KFC...I see them at the grocery stores farting around also...I will never hire a woman to do anything except to pull weeds, clean up the equipment, and polish knobs...when I worked for the fire department we had a woman that came in and was put right on the rescue truck...she bumped a guy that had been on the truck for years...they hand carried her through rescue training and she was worthless for the job...I watched her fall down once with her airpack and wallow around like a turtle on its back before someone picked her up...she could not handle any fire nozzle at any pressure...I would like to see a woman help me with anything I do, including leaf cleanups...The answer is No way jose...I know that there are some Amazons out there, but I still would not hire them...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

best operators

women make better equipment operators. once they learn the machine they take care of it better.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep it professional,however problems with a wife could be a killer
Had good luck with woman hires-clients both male and female liked it too...
Old 04-04-2006, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdman
So what do I tell potential women candidates? Is it discrimination if I don't hire women?
Tell them your wife doesnt feel comfortable with you around another lady all day, and you want to keep her happy so you're not in hell hearing her complain about it.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreenpros
Personally it's all about money to me, if they are a women and I can make money off of them I'll hire them.
You landscaping pimp you!

But seriously, do you (married) guys have THAT little of self restraint that you are that worried about the relationship between you and a female employee? I go on the road, literally for months on end, have every ample opportunity to F around if I so desired but I don't. You see I for one appreciate my significant other waiting for me whether it be from on the road or just after a long days work and realize how pissed (not to mention hurt) I would be if SHE were out and about running around on me. Couldn't have lasted together as long as we have if we couldnt trust each other and ourselves as much as we do...

Not saying I don't look but I know where to draw the line.
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 04-04-2006, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like your dislike of a woman who obviously was being hired because she was a woman and not qualified for the job and seeing a couple girls who worked for somebody else messing around on their lunch time has clouded your judgment of all women workers.
This is unfortunate and really too bad.A few Amazons out there huh?
Just who do you think built the weapons,recycled the metal made the uniforms,worked in the ammo factories ,and produced the food for the troops,during WW2 ?
A few Amazons?No everyday housewives , strong,dedicated women did the work in this country and they also served their country in the military,nursed wounded and dieing soldiers and raised their children too.
If you haven't met a woman that can do the work you do..then you haven't met very many women at all.
I can just about guarantee you I could and would work circles around you and not break a sweat.
But you would be working for me..I sure as hell woulden't be workin for you!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Give me a woman who can run a w/b or use a string trimmer...hire her in a heart beat.Give me a man who can run a w/b or use a string trimmer...hire him in a heart beat.
If you are worried about working all day with a girl,and what will your wife say? She should say "Glad you found a good worker" Their should be no other issues.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Hire her just like any other, Most women work alot harder. there are some things that I think some should not do like, Firefighting, Policic Officer. Why should they have a different physical agility test then any man, That just shows they cant do the job. If they want to work with men They should be able to be treated like men. MOST WOMEN DO BETTER WORK THEN MEN STILL THOUGH. My 2 cents