Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

small skid vs. mini skid

I'm looking at the dingo/boxer/asv RC30 line ups this week and next, but understand their all limited (like any piece of equipment). I have seen in my search a few "small" skid steers, like a bobcat 743, or a 751, all priced in a areas of the mid teens (not too far from where I want to be). How do these smaller skids compare to the min-skids, is there any comparison? I like the ideas of lift hights and capacities of a larger skid, but really need something I can use on exsisting lawns and working by myself as a solo operator.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go with the RC-30, better to ride than stand or walk. I have a bigger machine but know of a guy who has 2 of those little ASV's and wow, they really get things done quick.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Sponsor

Yard Solutions,

The ASV RC-30 is a great product on turf especially with the green tracks (low psi and non aggressive tracks) and 6 mph operating speed. Lift height is comparable to the (Vermeer S600TX mini skid)around 80". The controls are similar between ASV and Vermeer. The ASV is a nice if you like to sit down vs. stand up. The drawbacks would be changing implements, machine width at over 46" compared to a mini skid at 36" and overall length which is 91" compared to 71" and the ability to rent attachments which are more common with the mini skid. Both machines have their strong points and advantages over each other. It somewhat depends how large of a machine is needed or can fit in the areas you are working in a majority of the time. Just my 2 cents and hope it helps.

J
Old 04-04-2006, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I just worked the ASV for about an hour, what a great piece of equipment. MUCH smoother than the wheeled bobcats, and that is the first time I've ever used pilot controls in a skid, and what a difference. Looking foward to the dingo, but sitting is always nice, and no need to balance myself while working the equipment.

I am concerned about renting attachments though, I take it the mini-skid attachments won't work on the RC30, and full size universal won't work either? Am I forced to find a ASV dealer for rental, or buy them?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Sponsor

You might look into an adaptor plate that will match up to the universal mini skid plate. The ASV auxiliary circuit is only 10gpm most mini skid steers are over that (13 gpm on the the Vermeer) running at 3,000 p.s.i. As for renting the attachments your ASV dealer should be able to give you the guidance on what is available for rent or buy.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Adapter Plate

Vermeer makes a good point. I have heard that there is an adapter plate for both Dingo attachments and larger skid attachments, although the larger buckets from a skid might be a little too heavy.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

How do the attachements work on the ASV? I know the flow is only rated at 10 gpm, and one of the attachments I am really interested on running is a harley rake. Can anyone confirm that the 10 gpm is sufficient to really run a rake (or auger, tiller, etc.)? Asside from the flow, it seems the RC30 would pull the 48" rake really well.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Sponsor

A 48" M4M or M4H harley rake will work well with the flow in the 10-13 GPM range. It should perform well with either a mini skid or ASV. Keep in mind ASV was designed to be more of a loader than a tool carrier like the design of a mini skid which has higher hydraulic flow. Greater flow at the same pressure will give you greater productivity with the attachments you mentioned previously.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have never run a Harley but I doubt it is much different than a Preparator or Rock Hound. 10-13 gpm is not much flow especially on an auger or tiller. Your productivity might be much less than what you may expect with such low flow. You may want to demo before making a commitment on the machine if attachment performance is important.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harley Rake

I know that ASV has attachments made specifically for the RC30 to match it's ROC and hyd. flows. I've seen an RC30 running a Harley Rake and I bet it was made to match the flow of the machine. It even hyd. angle as a function. That surprised me for a small machine. I'm pretty sure it was 48".