Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2006, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hiring Women

Any thoughts, pro or con about hiring women? I've got no reservations if the girl is tough enough to do the work. But my wife brought up a point that I hadn't thought of. I work alone with my helpers, just me and one other person. If that other person is a woman/girl, is there a risk of being accused of something falsely? If the woman cries harrassment, what proof do I have against her? My word against hers? And how careful do I have to be not to offend her? I don't want to have to be on gaurd with her every hour of the day.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had 2 women work for me in the past, The one her husband got orders to anouther naval base and she was a great worker. And the other is my sister who is just learning how to weed eat and drive the z, both can out work most of the guys Ive hired in the past and never complain about anything both just like being outside and working for an easy going boss like myself
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

i have 3 women working for me full time .i would not trade them for anyone
Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would not work with another woman if it was only her and I. I don't like the looks of it. I wouldn't do it if I were married because I would not want the potential for anything to happen between the female worker and I. I think that is playing with fire and can lead to significant problems.

If there were multiple crew members, then I think hiring a women is fine. They will bring a different perspective to the job, which can be a positive thing. They will notice the smaller things, as they pay more attension to detail.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To put the shoe on the other foot I hire a one man crew to help me out all the time...I hate to see women being refused work because your afraid of neing sued for sexual harrassment.The laws are clear on what is and is not concidered harrasment a man could claim it on me just as a woman can claim it on you.I just don't touch them in anyway and don't make sexual remarks to them.I might sneak a look at their butt when they are turned the other way though..I mean hey I am human.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My wife was not happy with the idear, I can tell you that. I think I would feel more comfortable with it if there were more people with me. Alone in the truck with a woman/girl all day I'm afraid of the potential consequences. I would have no problem being on my best behavior, but you never know. And I totally have nothing against working with a female, I think they'd probably pay more attention to detail.

I dunno what to do.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdman
My wife was not happy with the idear, I can tell you that. I think I would feel more comfortable with it if there were more people with me. Alone in the truck with a woman/girl all day I'm afraid of the potential consequences. I would have no problem being on my best behavior, but you never know. And I totally have nothing against working with a female, I think they'd probably pay more attention to detail.

I dunno what to do.
I say that if your wife has a problem with it and you love her, don't do it. I would put my marriage above a possible co-worker any day of the week.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkplc
I say that if your wife has a problem with it and you love her, don't do it. I would put my marriage above a possible co-worker any day of the week.
I agree. I know my wife would have a fit if it was just me and a female co- worker. I would never hear the end of it.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-04-2006, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So what do I tell potential women candidates? Is it discrimination if I don't hire women?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdman
So what do I tell potential women candidates? Is it discrimination if I don't hire women?
You could tell them that you love your wife and you wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your marriage, but I don't know how well that would work. They might take it wrong. Maybe just tell them that you don't feel comfortable working directly with a female. I dunno...that's a tough question.