Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

pickup bed dump conversion any good?

I have a 95 Dodge 2500 diesel 2wd and need a better way of handling grass/leaves than transferring stuff to my dump trailer every day. Has anyone converted their pickup into a dump truck by installing a hoist kit to raise/dump the factory cargo box? Northern tool sells a kit for $940, which is less than half of what a dump insert costs. It is rated to lift 4000 lbs. and to me seems better than an insert because it only adds 200 pounds to the truck. Is there some disadvantage I'm not seeing? whatya think ?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

bump

anyone know anything?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Disadvantages to a dump kit like Northern's- You have to have fabrication skills to install it. If you don't, it will cost you some bucks to have it put in. You will have issues with the fuel filler as well. There is a company, Stealth dump trucks, that makes a kit that allows you to keep the stock look and fuel filler. Another disadvantage to dump kits are the beating your truck bed will take if you haul rocks and dirt. I've got a Maxi-dump insert. It adds 900 lbs. to the truck, but it will take a beating much better than a truck bed, has an easily removable double acting tailgate, and required no cutting or welding to install.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dump?

i thought of doing that, but found out you can't use a trailer hitch with a dump installed. the dumps that slide in your truck bed works better
Old 04-06-2006, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 clowns mowing

i thought of doing that, but found out you can't use a trailer hitch with a dump installed.

I know on the one i had you could use the hitch but you would have to move it forward so it cleared the rear bumper.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had it done to many of the trucks I've owned and love it. I have not had any problems with it at all. I have never beat up my beds any more than if I didn't have the dump. If you have fabricating skills you can do it yourself. I don't so I just got a price of $2400.00 to have it done.I think thats a little high so I'm going to check around. I highly recommend it.
IMO dump inserts take away from the look of the truck and adds unnecessary weight to the truck although I'm sure they work fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you put in the hoist system it is a good idea to reinforce the bed. I think you need to add support going side to side. Otherwise i think the hoist system is the way to go. If you decide on the insert you might think about adding helper springs in the back and brakes on the trailer.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The truck craft aluminum dump insert only adds 400 pounds to your truck. If you have a truck break down or get to where the truck needs to be down for some time, Its easy to put it into another truck so you can still work.

If you are running a f150 or the equivalent, You may want to go the hoist because of the weight issue, they average about 150lb's.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The alum. insert I think is @ 4500 - 5000k. Seems a little pricey to me. But would be a good tax right off and now you could say you have one at the end of your post. Anyone ever pick a winner of who has the best one or the longest stuff,( insert any joke in here), I mean at the end of thier post.