Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if they can't afford it???/

it's estimate season. what amazes me, is the people who can't afford top level service, but won't settle for a lower level of service. examples are: a lady calls and says her husband died, she lost her job, and she needs service. she's on a tight budget, BUT, she wants a premium package= weekly mowing, scu, bed work, shrubbery trimmed, fert program...and " i need this place kept neat, and weed free!." so i give her prices, she gags. "i told you, my budget is limited." so, i recomend a simple mow + go pkg, with limited fert + weed control. she goes, "o, no, i need this place kept in tip top shape!." well damn, if you're broke, why do u need a top level of service? YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT! another one, tiny lawn, she wants mowing, and the front renovated. i quote her a price, she gasps, "oh, i can't afford that." again, i recomend a simple mow + blow service, spread out over an 8 month payment arrangement, that came out to pennies a month, again, "oh my god, there is no way, i can afford that!." i'm like, "why the hell did u call me????" why do people with no money, request luxery type service?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is why I try to prequlify a potential customer on a incoming call before i even show up
Old 04-06-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPSJay
This is why I try to prequlify a potential customer on a incoming call before i even show up
Exactly how do you do that?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

It's really not that difficult, I keep the potential client on average on the phone for about 10 minutes. I get as much information out of them as possible. If they are calling about grass cutting as an example, I'll say, "let me tell you a little about how our company works. we maintain your lawn weekly throughout the season, unless we experience a severe drought situation. on average you are looking at about 28 cuts for the season, is this something that you are interested in." if they say, "wow, I wasn't expecting that mnany cuts, I really only wanted bi-weekly." I'll feel them out a little more, and if it sounds like a dead end that they really are stuck with going with biweekly, i tell 'em we aren't the company for them.
Also, I always find out how they heard about us. That way I can track our advertising to see what is actually working for us. That first call that the customer makes to you is an important one. Use it to your advantage.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its got nothing to do with advertising results, jodi. its a matter of finding out everything you possibly can about the PROSPECTIVE CLIENT. ask if they ever used a lawn service before, ask them if they had a budget in mind, ask if they have already recieved bids, ask what kinds of services they want/need.....its not rocket science, one man band, just basic sales skills...
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPSJay
its got nothing to do with advertising results, jodi. its a matter of finding out everything you possibly can about the PROSPECTIVE CLIENT. ask if they ever used a lawn service before, ask them if they had a budget in mind, ask if they have already recieved bids, ask what kinds of services they want/need.....its not rocket science, one man band, just basic sales skills...
What's got nothing to do with advertisng results? I didn't say that's how I pre-qualify 'em. But while I have them on the phone I find out about our advertising too. Nothing wrong with that, that's for sure.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they call to make u mad bobby
i have 1 now said on the phone she lost her job but needs work done gonna rush over on that 1
Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobby,those people were put on this world to teach you patience and
how to deal with more of those people!!Thank them with a big smile for
being so irritating.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Had this estimate for a whole new front yard landscape and small side yard.Lady wanted boulders,dry creekbed,trees, plants galore and soil needed to be brought in..full drip ststem,bark, ect,ect ect...give them a price,.."OH I HAD NO IDEA THAT LANDSCAPING COST THAT MUCH!!!Can we do any of the work to keep the costs down?"Well I will call you when we get back from our weeks vacation in Mexico!"..my tiny bid for all this work and materials a lousy $7000.00 Way low..won't go any lower than that!Very small front yard but Hey!!!!If you want all that you gotta expect to pay for it!I can throw you in a 3000.00 landscape but yer gonna get what you pay for.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
What's got nothing to do with advertisng results? I didn't say that's how I pre-qualify 'em. But while I have them on the phone I find out about our advertising too. Nothing wrong with that, that's for sure.
That's what I need to remember(where they got the number) to ask. But I do always make sure I tell them I don't do bi weekly on the phone and I ask if they had a service before, if they did I ask why they are looking for a new one and what they were paying(assume they're gonna lie an average of $5 under )