Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2006, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Artificial turf fields

What do you guys use, if anything, to sterilize/disinfect artificial turf fields. How often do you do it? The disinfectant salesman says twice a month for normal use. Basically this equates out to a trailer load of product every year. The bean counters got a good laugh when I gave them a quote on that amount of product. I have also been told that using that amount can damage the backing, and is simply unnecessary. Spot spraying on a regular basis (on the spot where someone blows lunch, or immediately around the benches) and then a complete spray once a year, maybe twice if it gets heavy use. Sound good??
Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would really focus on the bench area. guys/gals blowin snot, spitting and oozing blood...Spilled gatorade or other sports drinks, food, ect....I don't maintain our artificial fields but I would think on top of the sun and good rains, the field would be somwhat self cleaning....
Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with MarcSmith
Old 12-01-2006, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know much about artificial turf, but roughly how much does it cost to put one in, and how much to maintain per year?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

From what I have read the cost of installation can be on the high side of 750,000 dollars.Of course this all depends on what kind of prep and drainage goes with it. The thing that blows me away is the amount of High schools that are converting to "sports turf".
Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

i HATE the fact people call it turf...why not rug? carpet? toxic mat of spit,blood,sweat, and my favorite chewed up spit out orange peels
Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

glad you saw fit to bring back a thread from 3 months ago just to tell us how you feel.

I guess you had problems with astroturf back in the 70's...

A well maintained synthetic turf field will have no more, in fact proably less bacteria and other nasties than a comparable natural field.

In my situation ar GU a synthetic (sports turf) field was about the only option. with an urban college limited acreage and a good soccer, good lax, and well the football team,..hey their brainiacs not brutes.... a natural field that sees all that pratice and games, would be destroyed prior to the 3rd week...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Marc Smith... We are also a land-locked college and our native soil fields were taking a beating prior to our installation of a good artificial turf field.
Now it has helped alliviate the stress because during nasty weather, our teams can practice on the artificail field, I can perform my maintenance such as aeration, fert, weed/fung. control without the usual squabbling from athletics.
The cost of our field alone was around a half million but we went with some bells and whistles so the cost jumped a bit. (Unfortunately, right after completion, we had a monsoon type drenching and several large sink holes formed around the new turf-- it was really a mess-- took 24 cement trucks to cap it and our costs soared) But in the long run, it is worth it.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea but there is something to be said about the blood and guts and gore on a real field in the mud. I mean, you gotta to love it! But it's a pain to maintain.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I think the same way but because our campus is in a neighborhood, two blocks away from the local public high school, the kids also think it's okay to play pick up games when it is the worst conditions to do so. This past Jan., my Soccerl field was ruined to a pick up game during the winter thaw. Check out the picture.
Attached Images