Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much to charge for planting....

A customer has 14 5' arbs that were planted 2 years ago by another LCO. She wanted them as a privacy hedge but they were planted 4' apart in a straight row. There's a 2' gap between them. She's supplying 14 more 5-6' arborvitea's delievered to the house. So it's just labor.
First: is there a problem planting in between the extising plants. ie, disturbing the roots. She doesn't want to stagger them.
This is being done by only me using pick and shovel so what's a good price?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the digging. Are you going to amend the soil? Don't forget to take the burlap off if it's plastic fold it down if it's regular fabric. Any gaurentee? If there is you should charge extra. If the digging is pretty easy maybe $225-$250 with no gaurentee.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M.Landscaping
A customer has 14 5' arbs that were planted 2 years ago by another LCO. She wanted them as a privacy hedge but they were planted 4' apart in a straight row. There's a 2' gap between them. She's supplying 14 more 5-6' arborvitea's delievered to the house. So it's just labor.
First: is there a problem planting in between the extising plants. ie, disturbing the roots. She doesn't want to stagger them.
This is being done by only me using pick and shovel so what's a good price?
hi G.M

i don't think there would be a problem planting the new one there
keep a eye out for roots. i would charge $45-$65 hour how long do you
think it will take you do put the new ones in. let me know
Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since I didn't plant the originals or pay for the new one's I'm not guaranteeing anything. I was going to use a mix of topsoil,sand , and mushroom as amend.

I usually charge $50/hr for most labor. I'm thinking 3-4 hrs.

But $200 sounded too cheap. I'm just talking about the labor not the cost of picking up the mix and fuel.

Last edited by G.M.Landscaping; 04-05-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

never heard of using sand and mushrooms but that doesn't mean anything. I have always used topsoil, peatmoss, and a little cow manure. Have problems with deers eating them down there? It's terrible up here.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

GM I agree the price is too low ....I'd be at least twice the amount you noted. I'd also use a Mantis to help dig most of the holes as this little machine is fabulous for planting and pulverizing the backfill.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarPA
GM I agree the price is too low ....I'd be at least twice the amount you noted. I'd also use a Mantis to help dig most of the holes as this little machine is fabulous for planting and pulverizing the backfill.
I own a mantis and was thinking of using it, but wasn't sure if it would start bouncing around and getting loaded up with roots because of the other arbs.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M.Landscaping
I own a mantis and was thinking of using it, but wasn't sure if it would start bouncing around and getting loaded up with roots because of the other arbs.
hi gm
i would charge $65 x 4 $260 or just charge $320 for all the work
Old 04-05-2006, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to venture to say that you are going to severly damage the roots of the Arbs on each side and you may even kill them.Be sure to tell the customer this and have her sign a paper saying that you will not be responsible for any death or damage done too her existing Arbs by planting in between them in this manner.Personaly I would not do it unless she allowed me to stagger them.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
I'm going to venture to say that you are going to severly damage the roots of the Arbs on each side and you may even kill them.Be sure to tell the customer this and have her sign a paper saying that you will not be responsible for any death or damage done too her existing Arbs by planting in between them in this manner.Personaly I would not do it unless she allowed me to stagger them.
That was my biggest concern and I told her that. I wanted to stagger them but she doesn't want her bed any wider. I told her no guarantee on any of them, but signing a paper is a good idea and I'll do that.

I'm going for $300. Thanks for the input.