Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2006, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Uh oh..

So I decided on a company name and made some logos, even ordered a shirt, then in the phone book I see the same name!
"Cutting Edge landscaping and lawn care."

Though I was calling mine "Cuttin' Edge Lawn Maintenance" do ya'll think that's too close, could I get into some type of trouble with this??
Old 04-07-2006, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

are you registered

did you register your name with the state, if its too close they will not do it and let you know...... not a good idea to start a business without registering the name first.......you may or not be really screwed.....your profile said youve been in business 2 years, i take it that is not correct......if you are just picking a name this year, what gives with that....
6 full time
Old 04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo
did you register your name with the state, if its too close they will not do it and let you know...... not a good idea to start a business without registering the name first.......you may or not be really screwed.....your profile said youve been in business 2 years, i take it that is not correct......if you are just picking a name this year, what gives with that....

I've done it for two years. First time trying to start a business. And no I do not have it registered yet. I've been searching all day but can't find who to call to do this? Any idea what office you'd call?

Also I searched and read a thread about NC saying you don't need a license to cut grass, because it's a service and you don't charge tax or something like that.. I guess I'd only need it for commercial which I do want to do.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

In Georgia business names are registered with the Secretary of State's office, not sure about NC, but should probably be the same. Google state offices for your state, should be plenty of info.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nc

google registering a business name in NC.....you also have to be insured.... 1 mil liability.....for any commercial work but in reality you should have the insurance before you cut your first blade of grass....you may be changing your name...
6 full time
Old 04-07-2006, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Process is relatively painless

Try starting here: http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/

It can take upto two or three weeks in Illinois to get your articles of incorporation. (Needed for insurance)

Don't forget, your Tax ID from the IRS form SS-4 this is easy once you are registered in NC you can go to irs.gov and apply and get it online instantly.

Then you have the form 2553, election by a small business to be an "S" corp. You will have to do annual filings with the IRS etc.. depending on your tax status and elections.

I suggest you contact an attorney regarding all of this, because I am not sure of your state regs, and this is only a general synopsis of the process. If you have never registered a company before the process can appear daunting. Oh and expect to shell out some cash, licensing costs, and so does insurance, not to mention the lawyer.

Then you can contact an insurance broker to get general business liability coverage. We have minimums in the town I live and do most of my work in at $1,000,000 / $2,000,000

Then don't forget to contact the department of AG in NC and get certified in pesticide application so you can put down weed and feed. (we were unaware of this tidbit till a member on here informed us) (taking my test on tuesday)

Interesting note on this is that to advertise fert / weed and feed in Illinois your license number must be on the advertisement.

Our municipality is trying to cut down on the illegally operated companies and is making it difficult for them.

But just these first few steps above show you why there are so many scabs out there.

Starting a business like ours can be a lengthy process in the very beginning We started months before the growing season when we started.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsplus
Try starting here: http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/

It can take upto two or three weeks in Illinois to get your articles of incorporation. (Needed for insurance)

Don't forget, your Tax ID from the IRS form SS-4 this is easy once you are registered in NC you can go to irs.gov and apply and get it online instantly.

Then you have the form 2553, election by a small business to be an "S" corp. You will have to do annual filings with the IRS etc.. depending on your tax status and elections.

I suggest you contact an attorney regarding all of this, because I am not sure of your state regs, and this is only a general synopsis of the process. If you have never registered a company before the process can appear daunting. Oh and expect to shell out some cash, licensing costs, and so does insurance, not to mention the lawyer.

Then you can contact an insurance broker to get general business liability coverage. We have minimums in the town I live and do most of my work in at $1,000,000 / $2,000,000

Then don't forget to contact the department of AG in NC and get certified in pesticide application so you can put down weed and feed. (we were unaware of this tidbit till a member on here informed us) (taking my test on tuesday)

Interesting note on this is that to advertise fert / weed and feed in Illinois your license number must be on the advertisement.

Our municipality is trying to cut down on the illegally operated companies and is making it difficult for them.

But just these first few steps above show you why there are so many scabs out there.

Starting a business like ours can be a lengthy process in the very beginning We started months before the growing season when we started.

Wow. Well I guess I'll start calling around. Thanks for the info.