Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am in my 2nd year of business and solo still. I love it. I do whatever i want. I come home for lunch and take a nap sometimes!

Some days i start at 6am and work till 3pm. Or start a 10am and work till 8pm!

Frankly i work extremely hard and get alot done by myself. Next year i will have to hire one or two guys. But first i am trying to get a system down to keep myself more organized first.

Matt
Old 04-12-2006, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For those of you who work those 10-12- or longer days I just have one question, why? If you are operating legally that overtime is killing you or at the very least you are leaving lots of money on the table. A well run business that will keep happy employees for more than a few weeks will schedule 6-7 hours of production a day and allow for travel time and get everyone off in 8-9 hours tops. If you are working more than that you need to hire more people. Everyone should to have a balance between work and life, if not for a good life for a successful business.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to be a hard worker that took all the hours I could get. When I was 18 I had a job as a truck driver for a mold shop. 12 hour days were the minimum, I would sometimes work up to 18 hours a day, and sleep in my car in the parking lot. I didnt even go home at night. They had a pay structure of time and a half after after 8 hours in one day, and double time after 10 hours in one day regardless of weekly totals. We worked 6-7 days a week. I only made $8 an hour, but I would gross about $700 a week. After a year, they went out of business (more money going out that comming in, lol). That was awesome money for an 18 year old (11 years ago no less). So my next job I got, they happened to be going through a slow spot, so we only worked an 8 hour day. I remember feeling like I was going home at lunch time. It didnt even feel like a full day.

Now, I try not to work more than 12 hours a day. No more than 8 if I can help it, but if I got a few estimates to do, or other office work that all gets done after my 8 hours in the field. Employee's hours are 40 or less per week.

Kevin
Old 04-12-2006, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of business are you running that allows you to sleep till you feel like it and work till your tired? What about schelduling and showing up at the same time each wk? According to what I read thats what sets your business apart from all the others or is it just price!
A stuctured business should have enough work for 1 man for 40 regular hrs, if you don't have that then your not putting enough effort into your "business" to ever become successful enough to keep employees working full time. Good luck finding a part time guy that can work when you feel like its time that you need his services.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

New to this site, so bear w/ me....I've got 4 employees, and I'm starting to have some "attitude problems w/ one of them. I'm thinking it's time to come up w/ an actual written job description so that we can either fix the attitude problem, or cover my a** if I need to get rid of the employee. Any suggestions on job descriptions??
Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
What kind of business are you running that allows you to sleep till you feel like it and work till your tired? What about schelduling and showing up at the same time each wk? According to what I read thats what sets your business apart from all the others or is it just price!
A stuctured business should have enough work for 1 man for 40 regular hrs, if you don't have that then your not putting enough effort into your "business" to ever become successful enough to keep employees working full time. Good luck finding a part time guy that can work when you feel like its time that you need his services.

I work solo and 90% of my work is installs, so i can do whatever i want. I think the last couple weeks i been doing around 48-50hrs in the field a week. This is only my 3rd full week back working, so i am still adjusting. Once it starts getting darker later i will be able to work longer in the field since i will be able to book my estimates later in the evening.

Matt
Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawngrl
New to this site, so bear w/ me....I've got 4 employees, and I'm starting to have some "attitude problems w/ one of them. I'm thinking it's time to come up w/ an actual written job description so that we can either fix the attitude problem, or cover my a** if I need to get rid of the employee. Any suggestions on job descriptions??
Job descriptions will go a long way towards impressing on your employees this is a real company not just a paying hobby until something better comes along. It will also set clear guidelines.

I would suggest following up with a employee contracts that contains the job description and who the employee reports to and who reports to the employee if they are in a position of authority. This is an all or none proposition, you can't have job descriptions for one position and not others.

These are things usually reserved for bigger companies, mostly because they take a lot of time and effort to put together, but they are a great value to the business. They also look good when you are trying to get a loan or sell the business.

position contract Gardener Rev..doc

This is a copy of my position contract for my gardeners, you will see rather that outlining each and every task it is more goal oriented. So they must be responsible for producing a result rather than performing a task.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Gardener- Thanks for the example of your job description. I'll definitely use it as a reference. Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawley
5 keep telling myself that I have to get serious, I have two part time people now. I just have too much trouble waking up...maybe one day I'll get up.
Maybe you need to raise your prices, I find anytime I can't get my bones out of bed, it's almost always a money thing fixes or messes it up.

If I charge enough, I can get up and running without alarm clock while running a fever at 6am when I was up until 3am the night before.

If I don't charge enough, I can't get out of bed, plain and simple.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL..thats pretty true!
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt