Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2006, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I need help before I kill myself!!!

Ok. The title may be overly dramatic, but I have a real problem.

I have a Hustler Fastrack Honda 20hp/52" deck that I got back when I lived on 1.5 acres. My job has since moved me and my yard is now normal residential size. The problem is that we back up to a creek. In the back yard, it slopes about 30 degrees until it drops about 20 feet into the creek at about 60 degrees. The 30 degree part is grass and the 60 degree is wild.

I love my Hustler, but it is not designed for this. I want to mow the 30 degree hill and avoid careening down the 60 degree hill into the creek. I've managed to limp by for 2 years now, but in that time I've "lost it" about a half dozen times and ended up winching the mower out of the drink. Not to mention the exciting ride down! The best method I've found for mowing the 30 degree part is by backing down the slope and then mowing up--never turning sideways to the slope. This is, to say the least, cumbersome.

Well, I'm tired of tempting fate. Two questions. How much should my FastTrack bring in trade and what should I replace it with. Money is definetely an issue and I would love it if there was an even trade option.

Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually

I haven't measured the slope and it wouldn't surpise me if it is more like 40 degrees instead of 30.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Extreme Landscaping

Might be time for extreme landscaping to be insalled upon the whole hillside.
Might be as extensive as round-up entire hillside, blow in hardwood mulch 2" thick or pebbles/chat then installing hardy evergreens (spear junipers and plains native cedars) amongst even an entirety of sunset-color, Branson Table Rock boulder slabs be craned-in.

Otherwise you'll need a low-center, low-gear, diesel dually with a guardrail cemented at waters edge.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny you mention the landscaping

Somm--Thanks.

Actually, about half the back yard is as I described it. The other half is almost exactly as you described it right down to the boulders.

So, does anyone have a suggestion that doesn't involve lots of $$$$$$?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHungry
Somm--Thanks.

Actually, about half the back yard is as I described it. The other half is almost exactly as you described it right down to the boulders.

So, does anyone have a suggestion that doesn't involve lots of $$$$$$?

Buy a regular residential walk behind and cut the backyard with that.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Regular Residential Walk Behind

I've got one and, frankly, I don't feel very comfortable with that either. The slope is such that I have a hard time walking up & down it without trying to push/pull a mower.

I should have mentioned that I have seriously considered just selling the Hustler and getting a contractor to do the whole yard. Problem is, from what I've read on here, I don't think that a contractor will be too excited about the project either. Any comments on that would be appreciated--especially, what to look for in a contractor.

Thanks to all for your help!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have not read your thread or the replies but just though it was important that I get this written as soon as possible --- don't kill yourself. There is more to life than mowing yards.

Bill
Old 03-27-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A hustler 48" hydro WB would do that OK. A Stand up sulky for riding on the flat area and take the sulky off and walk the slope if that's more comfortable.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a job for a Kubota GR2000 or GR2100.

Or you could see about getting a good trade-in on a hustler walkbehind.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-08-2006, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should see if you can manage to install the Walker wide rims and spacers onto your fastrak, and order the all terrian tires for it! Then get a welder to make you weights for the front end of this machine! I own a 18hp 44 fastrak and it does hills really well! I could tell you if this tire switch over will work because im taking my all terrians off to get turf ones so i could jack up the fastrak and see if there is clearence for them! But good luck