Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2006, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Opinion on Ford cabover

I'm looking for opinions on the Ford cabover truck with the 6 cylinder diesel engine. We're needing to add a new crew and trying to decide what to put them in. Thanks
Old 04-07-2006, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Look a few weeks back in "Trucks and Trailers". We had nice little discussion on this very topic. Also, at ford-trucks.com in the "General Diesel" room, I asked the same question and got some good responses.

Personally, I really like the LCF and am strongly considering it. The '07's are expected at the dealerships in about a month. Very similar to the '06's except cloth seats, power windows and power locks are now considered standard. It has the torqueshift transmission which is awesome. My only concern is the new 4.5L V-6. It has great promise but I'd love to hear some dependability reports.

Let us know if you get one.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are considering a cabover you might want to think about a proven one. We have had Hino, Mitsubishi Fuso & GMC(Isuzu). All three performed well beyond our expectations. They also seemed to operate less expensively than conventional Diesels and trucks that we have had. That's my experience and opinion.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of numbers have you been getting on just the cab and chassis?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
what kind of numbers have you been getting on just the cab and chassis?
If you're talking prices, I was quoted right around $35,000 out the door with an 18' landscape bed. No prices on just cab and chassis but I believe the beds were around $4000-$5000. Not sure about the Isuzu's or Fuso's. If you get "Big Truck Trader" up there in Md., they generally will have a dealer with just the cab and chassis.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

none of the LCF trucks are made in the US anymore. i have had several bad encounters with Isuzu/GMC cabovers. they seem to work great for 5 years, then just have all sorts of problems, often electrical, that are difficult to fix. had one that even the dealer said they couldnt find or fix. never could seem to find good shop manuals for them either. sorta like your television...use it til it breaks, then throw it away and buy a new one.