Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2006, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Unhappy Bid Gone really wrong?!?!

Just thought I would share this story. I went out the other day to give someone a bid. He is a salesman for a pretty good size builder here. He new exactly what he wanted. He also had a small problem. I couldn't run a dedicated 20 amp breaker because his panel was full. But, he wanted me to have a sub-panel installed and re-wire some of the outside plugs there for his x-mas lights. Being I am not an electrician I told him I would find someone to do it. I found someone who does my plugs and he said he would charge $1100 for that. Which through some phone calls is a pretty D@mn good deal. That night when I went back to do the demo he invited me in. I told him the price and he said wooow that's really high. I had already given him the price on my end which was $2160. So I told him that, really that was a pretty good deal on the electricity end of it. I offered the only solution I could think of. I told him that he could get the panel done now and I could come back in the future and do the lights, or I said I could bump the only breaker on the front lights to a 20 amp instead of a 15, and if he used icicles instead of C-7 X-mas lights it probably wouldn't pull near as many amps and he wouldn't trip the breaker. His wife all of the sudden got really nasty. She said we didn't call you to tell us how to do the x-mas lights just to fix the problem. Now keep in mind that she hadn't heard most of the previous conversation. I didn't get mad even though she was pretty nasty. I said like I was telling your husband I can do that for $1100. That fixes everybody's problem.
Here's where it get's really interesting. He says "$4000 is way out of our price range". Now at this point I know what's going on... he wants to haggle. So I just called him on it. I said "No offense to you and your wife but I don't negotiate my prices. I should told you that before. I offer the best quality products, design, and a strong warranty" Now I'm still not mad, but at this point he gets mad. I am flabergasted. I really didn't understand what the hell was going on. So I just thanked them for there time and left, because I could feel my hackles starting to raise.
Ok sorry for such a long post, but I'm curious if I missed something or what the heck went wrong........
Any thoughts? Suggestions??
Thanks

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes
Old 04-08-2006, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty
Just thought I would share this story. I went out the other day to give someone a bid. He is a salesman for a pretty good size builder here. He new exactly what he wanted. He also had a small problem. I couldn't run a dedicated 20 amp breaker because his panel was full. But, he wanted me to have a sub-panel installed and re-wire some of the outside plugs there for his x-mas lights. Being I am not an electrician I told him I would find someone to do it. I found someone who does my plugs and he said he would charge $1100 for that. Which through some phone calls is a pretty D@mn good deal. That night when I went back to do the demo he invited me in. I told him the price and he said wooow that's really high. I had already given him the price on my end which was $2160. So I told him that, really that was a pretty good deal on the electricity end of it. I offered the only solution I could think of. I told him that he could get the panel done now and I could come back in the future and do the lights, or I said I could bump the only breaker on the front lights to a 20 amp instead of a 15, and if he used icicles instead of C-7 X-mas lights it probably wouldn't pull near as many amps and he wouldn't trip the breaker. His wife all of the sudden got really nasty. She said we didn't call you to tell us how to do the x-mas lights just to fix the problem. Now keep in mind that she hadn't heard most of the previous conversation. I didn't get mad even though she was pretty nasty. I said like I was telling your husband I can do that for $1100. That fixes everybody's problem.
Here's where it get's really interesting. He says "$4000 is way out of our price range". Now at this point I know what's going on... he wants to haggle. So I just called him on it. I said "No offense to you and your wife but I don't negotiate my prices. I should told you that before. I offer the best quality products, design, and a strong warranty" Now I'm still not mad, but at this point he gets mad. I am flabergasted. I really didn't understand what the hell was going on. So I just thanked them for there time and left, because I could feel my hackles starting to raise.
Ok sorry for such a long post, but I'm curious if I missed something or what the heck went wrong........
Any thoughts? Suggestions??
Thanks

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes

What went wrong is you will not work for table scraps. Its nice to see a member that holds to there price and does Quality work.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

$1100 for a sub panel seem awful high priced. Thats a $400 job around me and its should only take an hr.
But if you told him the price not much more you can do but move on to the next one
Old 04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
$1100 for a sub panel seem awful high priced. Thats a $400 job around me and its should only take an hr.
But if you told him the price not much more you can do but move on to the next one

He also wanted some other plugs wired to, that could bring the price higher??
Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gamba
He also wanted some other plugs wired to, that could bring the price higher??
Missed that --$75 for new ones $50 to rewire existing to a differnt cicuit. From what was descibed I assume that the customer wanted his outside outlets rewired to a dedicated cicuit in the new sub panel box.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You also have to look at, what size sub panel. Is it a 70 amp, 125 amp? Where do they want to locate it? Plus adding or rewiring outlets? Sounds like a pretty good price to me.

If $4000 is "Way out of there price range", with the electrical work, they are not your clientele. Stick to your guns and don't bargain with these people.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Travis
Sounds like it took a turn when you mentioned doing something different with the x-mas lights. Who knows but maybe that hit a nerve with the wife. That might be her little project as far as decorating and she always does it a certain way. But regardless you were trying to help and offer up solutions.
After the wife got nasty I think the hubby had to back her up or suffer the consequences later with her. Like you said she didnt here or understand the whole conversation from the start.

Where did the $4,000 figure come from anyway? $2160 + $1100 = $3260
If he didnt have a problem with $2160 then he had a problem with upgrading panels which is something he has to do anyway.

Too bad it didn't work out for you. Keep pluggin away and don't look back!
Good Luck!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

$1100 seems high might not,good that you stay with your prices, a business man you are running a biz good that you treated that way,if every one charge a fair but high price.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what went wrong was that you're dealing with someone who works for a builder(usually-- not all--most want the cheapest price possible)
Old 04-09-2006, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

That makes sense. Let me ask you guys this. Does most of your work come from people who live in say..... $400,000 houses plus? I think when I first started targeting I targeted to low. These people lived in a $200,000 house. while it was a brand new very nice house, I am trying to stay at that market of 400k plus. Truly didn't think much about my price because of the two mercedes parked in the driveway.
Thoughts?