Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2007, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiyDave View Post
I think that's the exact tire that they sell, I think it was on page 16 of their catalog. Price was$ 20.00 per. Good luck.
You're right, it sure does look like it.

I never thought to look for a tire for a push-type reel mower. But now it seems reasonable that Hahn Eclipse would have just used what was an off-the-shelf item at the time.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2007, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad you found your tires...

sometimes you have to look for old parts in other fields than you are accustomed to.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I appreciate the help. I tried to order the tires, but Miller wasn't open on the weekend. But after I do get through to them and the tires arrive, I'll post how I made out. Looks good from here.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a response to email I had sent to M. E. Miller Tire Co and called them. I spoke to Ed Miller, and he gave me a price of $16 rather than the $20 the catalog indicated. So I ordered them. Ed said that he bought everything the manufacturer had a few years back and sure seemed surprised that I could use them. He still has about 50 left if anyone else is interested. I asked if the rubber was showing signs of age by getting hard and brittle, but he said it was still soft. But he warned me that the tire diameter is a little smaller than the wheel, because it was intended a an interference fit and will be a bit a struggle to get them on. The original mower manufacturer had a special tool for that, but I'm sure I'll manage.

Thanks again for the help. I had given up on ever finding these tires.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to help!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to see you found some tires for the ol girl.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have one of these Hahn Eclipse mowers too! It is sitting in the shed, and has been for many years. I think it has a 4hp B&S engine, with a gear drive shaft out of the side of the engine -- engages a pulley for ground drive control.

I bought mine in Fall, 1968. That is when I bought my first house, so this was my first residential lawn mower. I used it for many years, but replaced it with a Snapper Commercial model, about 1985. The Hahn has a side bagger, with the cloth bag fitting over the discharge chute. It merely has an elastic band around the bag opening, which stretches over the aluminum chute. Nothing holds it in place -- no mechanical fastener. And, a rod slips through the handles, extending to the right of the mower, on which the rear of the bag hangs (as I recall -- it has been years!).

The mower was flawless, save a rear height adjuster lever. I think I had to make a replacement in late 1970s, but had a hard time finding parts already at that time.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input, Roger. Mine still runs, and runs good, but I had replaced the engine while they were still available. I doubt if that's the case any more, but I suspect there are a lot of other Hahn-Eclipse POW-R-PROs still doing what they were designed for after all these years. I'm not sure when they stopped making them, but I think it was sometime in the late 70s. It seems to me that since owners are still trying to buy parts for them three decades after the last one was manufactured, it surely speaks well of the design and the quality. If you look at Post #7, you'll see a photo of mine.

I had used that bag you described only a few times, but to tell the truth, I never did have much sympathy for the concept of bagging. From what I can see, not too many of the pros do it either. It never seemed to me that a few grass clippings on the lawn did much damage, and getting rid of the clippings was always a problem for me. Eventually, the bag disappeared, and I never really missed not having it. That rod to support it is still hanging in the garage, however.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
... If you look at Post #7, you'll see a photo of mine.

... That rod to support it is still hanging in the garage, however.
It was the picture that jogged my memory, not the model or name of the mower. I knew the name Hahn, but the model was not in my mind.

I think I can go to my garage and put my hands on the rod in 15 seconds! But, the bag, ... well, I don't think so. Yes, it was a pretty feeble attempt at a bagger. I didn't use mine much either. Compared to most mowers today, the discharge chute worked well. OSHA was not active during those days of manufacture, so there was a much more open shot for discharging clippings.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
OSHA was not active during those days of manufacture, so there was a much more open shot for discharging clippings.
I remember an explanation offered to me decades ago by a dealer that when OSHA started to flex its muscles regarding lawnmowers, that was the reason Hahn Eclipse decided to throw in the towel and terminate manufacture. I don't know if it's true, but I recall that it seemed odd to me at the time. That's because I thought the Hahn Eclipse I owned was safer than most lawnmowers of the day since it was possible to disengage the belt-driven blade while the engine still ran. It never occurred to me that OSHA might have had a problem with the Hahn Eclipse having superior grass-discharge capability.