Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2007, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Larry: Did you ever get the tires ordered?

I'm comping @ the bit to know if the 'ol girl is up & running again.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Fish,

Sure, I remember you. You were the first one to answer my may-day post in April, 2006 when I asked if anyone knew where I could get the tires. But to answer your last question, yes the ones I ordered came in and they'll fit. But since it's December now, I won't be firing up the Hahn Eclipse for a few more months. I don't know if getting these new tires mean the mower will last for another 40 years, but with the little use I'll be giving it, it might. During the last year, I bought a Quick 36 Samurai for my hills that I can't, or at least won't take my Z on, so I suspect the Hahn Eclipse won't be getting much use from now on. It's in perfect shape though. I had recently replaced the engine, blade, drive shaft and wheel bearings, so now with the new tires, it's pretty close to "as good as new". Maybe someday it'll end up in the Smithsonian for lawn mowers!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me, and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear it Larry. Merry Christmas to you to!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad I stumbled upon this forum/thread. I should pick up some of those tires, while I still can. The ones on my two POW-R-PRO's are very hard.

Here's what I use to keep the yard from reverting into a field:
1974 General Electric Elec-Trak E8m 36"
19(69-74?) General Electric Elec-Trak E15 42"
1964 Hahn POW-R-PRO 22"
1965 Hahn POW-R-PRO 22"

The 1965 Hahn developed a split in the aluminum deck that I'm going to get patched this summer, then have the deck powder coated.
Since the points burnt up on it, it's getting an electronic ignition upgrade as well to prevent that from happening in the future.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Glad I stumbled upon this forum/thread. I should pick up some of those tires, while I still can. The ones on my two POW-R-PRO's are very hard.

Here's what I use to keep the yard from reverting into a field:
1974 General Electric Elec-Trak E8m 36"
19(69-74?) General Electric Elec-Trak E15 42"
1964 Hahn POW-R-PRO 22"
1965 Hahn POW-R-PRO 22"

The 1965 Hahn developed a split in the aluminum deck that I'm going to get patched this summer, then have the deck powder coated.
Since the points burnt up on it, it's getting an electronic ignition upgrade as well to prevent that from happening in the future.
So you have two of them. I have to admit to being surprised that others besides me still have a Hahn Eclipse. But your report about the General Electric Elec-Tracs was even more surprising. I wasn't aware of that machine, so I looked it up and found this:
http://www.elec-trak.org/
The fact is, my parents came from Schenectady but left before I was born in 1932. I went there after finishing high school in NJ in 1949 and worked in the GE factory during 1950 until I joined the Air Force. Never really returned there, but I had cousins who remained in Schenectady, so I had visited the place off and on over the next 40 years. However, I had never heard of the GE Elec-Trac, and if I had not found that website, I'd have a hard time believing there was such a contraption.

Well, good luck with the new tires.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell off your chair laughing at me, but they are for a 1965, 22-inch, self-propelled Hahn-Eclipse POW-R-PRO. I had to replace the engine about a dozen years back, but the mower still runs great. However, the tires are starting to disintegrate from old age. They are unusual tires, so I am providing a photo. As you can see, the rim has 12 quarter-inch projection around the perimeter which I don't know the name of, but they might be called tenons; and the inside perimeter of the rubber tire has grooves those tenons fit into. So a conventional tire won't do. With all of the knowledge and experience Lawnsite members have, I wonder if anyone knows where I might buy those tires. The old ones have the Hahn-Eclipse name and a part number 33085.

did you ever find your tires?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphag View Post
did you ever find your tires?
Yes. See posts 16 through 24 above. It's a little cold for mowing here in NJ right now, so I haven't used them yet, but I have them now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Larry,

I am in need of a replacement engine for my Hahn Eclipse mower. I know it has been 12+ years since you got yours but where did you get it? Mine now has a 3.5 hp as the origonal died long ago. Otherwise, I wonder if it could be overhauled?

Thanks!
Greg
Old 04-20-2008, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat341 View Post
Larry,

I am in need of a replacement engine for my Hahn Eclipse mower. I know it has been 12+ years since you got yours but where did you get it? Mine now has a 3.5 hp as the origonal died long ago. Otherwise, I wonder if it could be overhauled?

Thanks!
Greg
Sorry Greg, but I don't think you'll be able to find a replacement any more. When I got mine in the early 1990s, I was told that what I got was the last of them and that no other 3.5HP could be used as a substitute because the power-take-off was a unique design. But if you want to look, however, what I bought is:

Model 96982
Type 5050-01
Code 85060304

I presume that it should be possible to rebuild the engine. Rings, bearings, valves and even a cylinder should be available if needed.

Mine still runs, by the way. But I drained the gas and stored in a dry place after I bought my Quick36. I may never again use it, but I bought those tires for it since I anticipated that I'd never again have an opportunity to do so again. Still haven't mounted them yet, but they are ready should I ever need them.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will look around...you never know. Mine still runs but it's using oil pretty bad. I just mowed with it this afternoon. Still throws grass better than any 22" mower I've ever used!