Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat341 View Post
Thanks, I will look around...you never know. Mine still runs but it's using oil pretty bad. I just mowed with it this afternoon. Still throws grass better than any 22" mower I've ever used!
New rings will probably fix that. Why not at least get a cost estimate to have them replaced, or do it yourself if you're handy with tools. Regarding your comment about "better than any 22" mower", I agree. Actually, I also had another mower that was about that size. I ran them both over a duration of about 4 decades with one being a backup for the other. The other was a self-propelled, 21" commercial Bob-Cat, but I sold it about a year or two ago. It was good too, but the Hahn-Eclipse was better. The Bob-Cat had a 4HP engine, but neither could climb some hills I have very well. My Quick 36 doesn't have a problem with the hills, however, and it's actually an overkill. Over the years I had also tried a few other 21" or 22" mowers that had 6 and 6.5HP engines on those hills, but they weren't as good as the Hahn-Eclipse, neither in hill climbing nor in discharging the grass clippings. The worst of the others was a 2-cycle Lawn-Boy which I thought might be best for the steep hills, but I was wrong and it failed the test. I suspect those 2-cycle engines are no longer available on Lawn-Boy mowers, but I was pleased that Home Depot took mine back with no questions asked.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Your advice is well taken Larry...I'm going to check into rebuilding it. I spoke with my dad tonight...the mower is actually his but I've confiscated it because he hoards it like a solid gold pocket watch; plus I mow his grass and hate the mower he makes me use. His fear is not being able to find the needle bearings for the rear wheels someday but he's too tight to buy some to keep on hand, so I'm going to order some! He told me the motor isn't original as it came with a 3hp. He also has a smaller version from Hahn(not sure what cut) he says contains an "iorn clad" drive mechanism not as prone to fail. Of course it doesn't run and the shaft wont fit on the 22". He has mixed and matched parts off a few of these Eclipse mowers for years. He thinks any vertical shaft 3 or 3.5 B.S. motor would work as long as the bolt pattern matches up to the lower gear section. To me, it's easier doing the rebuild.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat341 View Post
Your advice is well taken Larry...I'm going to check into rebuilding it. I spoke with my dad tonight...the mower is actually his but I've confiscated it because he hoards it like a solid gold pocket watch; plus I mow his grass and hate the mower he makes me use. His fear is not being able to find the needle bearings for the rear wheels someday but he's too tight to buy some to keep on hand, so I'm going to order some! He told me the motor isn't original as it came with a 3hp. He also has a smaller version from Hahn(not sure what cut) he says contains an "iorn clad" drive mechanism not as prone to fail. Of course it doesn't run and the shaft wont fit on the 22". He has mixed and matched parts off a few of these Eclipse mowers for years. He thinks any vertical shaft 3 or 3.5 B.S. motor would work as long as the bolt pattern matches up to the lower gear section. To me, it's easier doing the rebuild.
Sounds like your dad is a wise man. There's nothing wrong with being frugal. I don't know about the 3HP engine. I bought mine new, and it came with a 3.5. Getting some of those one-way needle bearings would be a good idea. I have what I'm sure will be a life-time supply for myself. I forgot where I bought them, but they were not unique to the Hahn Eclipse mower, because I'm pretty sure they were originally designed for some other application. That's why they were available when I looked for them. A possible related problem is that the shaft the bearings ride on can wear too, and if that happens, the bearings which are really the clutch mechanism, won't grab and drive the wheels. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a parts list or know where to get one for the Hahn-Eclipse Pow-R-Pro? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincorpete View Post
Does anyone have a parts list or know where to get one for the Hahn-Eclipse Pow-R-Pro? Thanks.
Sure, I still have mine. It's actually a 4-page document showing operating instructions & parts list and also includes an exploded view of all parts. PM your email address to me, and I'll scan what I have and send you a PDF. It's going to be pretty hard to find parts, however.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

That would be great Larry. I can't send a PM, but you can send that PDF to: 71gravely "at" comcast.net...Thank you!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure Glad I found this thread!
I have just e-mailed Miller tire in the hopes they still have a few tires left.

I have 3 hahn's at home, a 65 ish 21" large wheel belt drive, a 22" large wheel direct drive, 70's vintage still a good machine, and a much newer small wheel 22" direct drive.
using the last one for parts, the overrunning cluthes in the wheels are the same, and so is the rest of the drive. I tried at one point to use ground and polished drill rod for a drive shaft but it was not hardened so it wore out quick. I have but the original shaft back in and have 2 clucthes in each wheel, this seems to help.

At one point I had a hahn snow-blower, a hahn rider, and a hahn wood chipper, but the best machine was the walk behind mower with their one hand operation.

Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Miller tire sold out all it's small mower tires to Dandy Sales. he has about 1000 tires of many different types, but may be scrapping them soon as they are getting pretty old.

google "dandy sales"
Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice Hann Eclopes mower

I have an identical Hann Eclipes Power Pro. Bought it at an estate action 13 years ago because it was intresting looking. After I replace the carburator it ran like no other self propelled mower I have ever used. I wish the company still made them. The engine died 5 years ago and I'm looking to get it rebuilt. Do you have original owners manual or copies of one?, are you intrested in selling your 22" Power Pro?
If you didn't want to sell I can understand completly, I doen't ever see a time were I would sell mine. I'll probably pay enought money to get the engine rebuilt that I could purchase a new self propelled. Figure once I get the Power Pro running again I'll never need another push/self propelled mower again. Thanks for showing the photo, I thought I was the only person who owned one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
fishinpa. You're right, you never did. I apologize. My comment was really just a reflection of my own thoughts whenever I start to work on it again. But I'm not really doing much work on it now, just seeing if it still runs, and it did start up on the 3rd pull.

And you are correct about the fact that the part number should have had 6 digits. I dropped one when I wrote that first post. The tire number should be 330875. You have a good eye for detail. And I'll pursue farther looking for the guy who has the Hahn-Eclipse parts catalogs to see if he has parts and especially tires as well. Actually, however, I have the parts list, because I'm the original owner and way back in the '60s the manual that came with such equipment included not only an itemized list of every part in it, but an exploded-view diagram of where everything fit. It's a pity they don't do that with lawn equipment sold today. I've browsed through a lot of the posts on LawnSite.com, and I get the impression many of the members like to work on their own machine rather than take it to a dealer, and therefore I presume they would appreciate having the kind of data I got with my purchase 40 years ago.

You asked for a photo, so one is provided even though it doesn't seem to me to be an item of beauty. The blade on this machine is driven through a pulley, which is a bit unusual for a walk-behind mower. I consider there to be three advantages of that design. 1) the blade rotates at a higher rpm than if bolted directly to the crankshaft, 2) there's no danger of bending a crankshaft if the blade hits a rock, and 3) the housing is down very close to the ground in the front which makes it easy to get under shrubs, etc..
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpro44 View Post
I have an identical Hann Eclipes Power Pro. Bought it at an estate action 13 years ago because it was intresting looking. After I replace the carburator it ran like no other self propelled mower I have ever used. I wish the company still made them. The engine died 5 years ago and I'm looking to get it rebuilt. Do you have original owners manual or copies of one?, are you intrested in selling your 22" Power Pro?
If you didn't want to sell I can understand completly, I doen't ever see a time were I would sell mine. I'll probably pay enought money to get the engine rebuilt that I could purchase a new self propelled. Figure once I get the Power Pro running again I'll never need another push/self propelled mower again. Thanks for showing the photo, I thought I was the only person who owned one of these.
A copy of the owners manual is attached. I had drained the gasoline from mine and have it stored in a safe dry place, so I'm not using it any more, but nonetheless, I don't want to sell it. I'm certain that you won't be able to buy a replacement engine, so if you want to use yours some more, it looks like you will have to have the engine rebuilt. If that turns out to be very expensive and you decide to look for a new mower, my recommendation is to get one of BOP's. machines.
http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/
I have one of their Quick 36 mowers as my walk-behind and I consider it to be excellent. I doubt if anyone using for only mowing his own lawn could wear it out in a lifetime
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HahnEclipseParts.PDF (3.55 MB, 59 views)