Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2006, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Pintle Hook on an Enclosed?

I just purchased a 14 ft enclosed trailer. Our trucks, 2 F-350 dumps a F-250 and a Mitsubishi are already set-up for a pintle/2 inch ball combo. The company I bought the trailer from(shadowmaster) suggested a 2 5/16 ball.

I wanted to be able to pull any trailer with any truck so I bought the 2 5/16 ball/pintle combo. The pintle hook would not go down. My welder suggested changing the trailer to a pintle. I would rather have the pintle.

Sounds like the easiest way to go.

Is there any reason I should not do it on an enclosed trailer? Thanks in advance.
Harry
Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With the pintle/ball combo, the pintle remains up when using the ball. When the trailer is removed from the ball, it should lock closed. If not you have a problem.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

most of those pintle/ball hitches dont have interchangable balls between the brands. if you want to able to pull any trailer with any truck, which is the best way, then get a ring installed on the trailer.
looking back at your post, im not sure about the "pintle will not go down" part. the top part of the pintle wont snap closed when you close it for use as a pintle? and anyway, i cant imagine why there would be any trouble using a pintle on an enclosed trailer. the only reason to use a ball would be if you needed to use a weight distributing hitch. 2 5/16 balls are pretty much only used on big travel trailers these days just for that reason.

Last edited by oldrustycars; 04-08-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrustycars
most of those pintle/ball hitches dont have interchangable balls between the brands. if you want to able to pull any trailer with any truck, which is the best way, then get a ring installed on the trailer.
looking back at your post, im not sure about the "pintle will not go down" part. the top part of the pintle wont snap closed when you close it for use as a pintle? and anyway, i cant imagine why there would be any trouble using a pintle on an enclosed trailer. the only reason to use a ball would be if you needed to use a weight distributing hitch. 2 5/16 balls are pretty much only used on big travel trailers these days just for that reason.

Thanks for responses

I bought a new pintle/ 2 5/16 combo from trailer store and the pintle ring would not go over the 2 5/16 ball. I am getting a pintle ring installed on the new trailer. This will settle my problem. I will bring the pintle/ball copmbo back for a refund.
Harry
Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Pintle problems

We have several trailers, a compressor, leaf vac, etc. with both styles, and I find the 2 5/16 ball much easier for several reasons - it doesn't slam and bang every time you brake, it backs up in a straight line where you point it, instead of jack knifing, and it's just more solid of a hitch. Assuming you have a slide-in receiver hitch, it doesn't take a minute to slide the ball mount or the pintle mount into the receiver and pin it. Our pintle hook is mounted on a receiver plate.
By the way, if your trailer tongue is made for the 2 5/16 ball, don't use a 2", or you might see your trailer passing you on the road.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
We have several trailers, a compressor, leaf vac, etc. with both styles, and I find the 2 5/16 ball much easier for several reasons - it doesn't slam and bang every time you brake, it backs up in a straight line where you point it, instead of jack knifing, and it's just more solid of a hitch. Assuming you have a slide-in receiver hitch, it doesn't take a minute to slide the ball mount or the pintle mount into the receiver and pin it. Our pintle hook is mounted on a receiver plate.
By the way, if your trailer tongue is made for the 2 5/16 ball, don't use a 2", or you might see your trailer passing you on the road.
My post can be confusing
I donot have a slide in reese type, reciever hitch. Its a pintle hitch with a 2 inch ball(for other trailers) that the hook goes over. And I am not trying to put a 2/5/16 hitch on a 2 inch ball.
I like a pintle because I have had 2 mishaps(in 20 years) with balls(none serious but they could have been). I thought I had the ball down all the way and it wasnt. I can deal with the sloppy ride of the pintle.
I just wanted to make sure it could be done. My welder said no problem. I guess i wanted confirmation. So far I am hearing it can be and has been done.
Thanks
Harry
Old 04-09-2006, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok, now it makes sense. the ID of the ring was less than 2 5/16. as long as you keep your tongue weight at 10 percent of the gross trailer weight, it shouldnt have slop.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All of my trailers from now on are going to be pintle hitch. I might just convert my current enlcosed too.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous