Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2006, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yank'em sticks to pilot controls?

I tried out pilot controls on a skid yesterday and to be quite honest, it was ugly. I could hardly go in a straight line. Hit a bump and I was way off course. I am used to the old style "yank'em" sticks and am pretty damn good but since I am considering a machine that utilizes pilot controls, I wonder how tough the transition will be.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just like anything else, pilots have pros and cons.....it's like learning to ride a bike again, but you do learn. For me, pilots are the only way to go.....
Old 04-08-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade
Just like anything else, pilots have pros and cons.....it's like learning to ride a bike again, but you do learn. For me, pilots are the only way to go.....
It is like anything. Operator prefrence. I can not learn to like them on rubber tire, but confess they are smooth on a track machine. One thing I notice is you either like or not. Pros and cons both ways. I cannot wait until Deere comes out with their version as an option. I have several Cat owners who said they would covert if we ever have that. We will have as an option in a couple of years.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doug, I know what your going through but you have to ask yourself:

"would you rather go through the day pumping pedals and yanking levers when you can sit back and just move your wrists"

Once you get the hang of the control you will never go back. Also, it frees up your foot for an accelerator pedal, which can really help your machine control rather just having the thing revving all day. Until you have got it weighed off you wont realise how much better it is.

Lady: You Sir are Drunk!
Winston Churchill: Yes Ma'am but you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be Sober.

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of humour....but it sure is fun!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i learned on a new holland and liked it till i ran a cat i though it was akward at first but after a few days i could not think of going back to the pedals. when i ran the new hollands my knees and ankles hurt. with the pilot controls the only problem i have is my right ankel frome time to time
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 04-09-2006, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Member

You should try run a 988 wheel loader with the tiller steer its really weird feeling to start but once your used to it you will never go back to mechanical steering.

They did studies with gravel mine employees that fatigue went down with pilot controls on the wheel loaders and bulldozers. Operator fatigue is a big deal as its what causes accidents. Also you get more production from a machine if the operator isn't getting a full body workout in the cab pulling levers and stepping on throttle and brakes.

Its like everything you get used to running it like people trying to run old style Case backhoes with the foot pedals and individual levers all takes practice.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Fatigue may be an issue in a factory/minesetting but operating levers and pedals is not a problem in a landscape setting! Doesn't it take more effort to go in and out of the loader than move your arms and feet while inside? I would guess that the pilot controls come in handy when you're injured or somewhat handicapped but when I think of using a skid loader it means going inside, doing work, climbing out, doing more work then back to the skid to move something e.t.c. Unless you do a lot of excavation or dirt moving I can't see any benefit to the pilot controls. Except maybe another set of overpriced parts to replace when they fail!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Doug is in construction he could possibly himself or a employee running the machine all day. When I used to run 763 skid steer I could only run it for couple hours. My ankles and calfs would cramp up working the foot pedals.

I wouldn't be scared of pilot controls wearing out look at excavators they have been using them for years. Caterpillar has been using tiller steer in loaders for quite a few years and same with the larger dozers.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh come on you know deep down a 966C is wayyyyyy better than a G series loader

seriously technology is great but its easier for me to troubleshoot a problem with an older machine than the new high tech/computer gadget "sorry buddy u'll need a $5000 bucket piston return pressure moniter pump chip" my rules are if i can't fix it with a wrench and some elbow greese it ain't worth buying.

suppose this new computer crap in machines can be fixed with my hammer?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have ran quite a few old 966Cs they range from totally thrashed to a good machine.

When the rental shop had to go get the 763 repaired it wasn't cheap either and its yank em sticks. Manufactures have you by the testies nothing you can do about it everything is expensive to fix.

The electronic crap we can't get away with now the 988 I ran had all kinds of lights and gizmos in the cab. First thing when I got into the machine it was where is the **** is the steering wheel. It didn't take me long to figure out how to operate the machine.

When your used to old 66s where you pull the pedal up to kill the engine a brandspanking new 988 is new territory

The gravel mine that has the machine hasn't really had any problems with the pilot controls itself its the electronic controlls for the transmission.

The days are gone when a heavy duty mechanic can do everything. With Caterpillar in B.C. and Alberta no more heavy duty mecanics all they have is specialized techinicans.

When you go to school with them they train you in one thing and you become a Hydraulics Tech,Electronics Tech,Undercarriage and Driveline Tech, Engine tech. They want specialized mechanics so if you have a Hydraulic problem the hydraulic technician will find and repair the problem. Caterpillar really is the only company in Western B.C. that does this. One reason is they had too many problems with training heavy duty mechanics then they leave and work for Deere or go on their own.

But to sum up the rambling get used to electronic controls they are here to stay sooner you get used to them the better. When the older mechanics start to retire the new trainees really won't beable to fix old mechanical lever machines. They are all trained for the new stuff.