Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Telehandler may be the way to go...

After TOO MUCH thought and reviewing some older posts from this board, the thought of a telehandler came to mind...particularly one that utilizes the same style quick tach set up which allows you to use your skid steer attachments with it as well. I know Gehl offers that:

http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_thct.html

But I have no idea what one would cost. Bobcat has a pretty neat system, but all of the attachments are proprietary. Here is a link to it:

http://www.bobcat.com/products/versa/index.html

and they are going for 50k or so on machinerytrader.com. Any of you guys use these? I know I could definately get extra use out of one of these if you add the safety platform for any number of things on the jobsite and it looks like they are pretty stout for moving loose dirt at least.

There seems to be decent deals on used ones, but if I was to go the telehandler route, I think I would try to either go new or very low hours used.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I got to play with a 10,000lb capacity Cat telehandler the frigging thing lifted 40' in the air

If your in construction a telehandler is a very handy machine for standing up walls or lifting roofing up onto a roof etc. I don't know how well they work as a loader but 90% of the time they stay as a forklift.

The Cat machine I got to use was a used machine it was going back and a new one was being bought. Like I said the boom went 40' up you can put somebodies car ontop of their house
Old 04-09-2006, 05:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Manitou Doug..I'm hiring one of the biggest in the state in a couple of weeks but we have used the smaller ones before.

Have a looky here:

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/asp/...model/viewall/

Cat makes a good one in the 330 size.

Lady: You Sir are Drunk!
Winston Churchill: Yes Ma'am but you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be Sober.

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of humour....but it sure is fun!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many thanks, Squizz...from the looks of that machine, the Gehl is identical so it may just be a rebranded Manitou. Price is right and it would definately compliment what I already have AND can do several things that the others I was considering could not.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doug, If you build more than one storey regularly then a Telehandler is invaluable. They are your crane, forklift and general skyhook all in one.

Just be careful...some are not designed for digging much and really are just an telescopic forklift. Check with your dealer if you are going to be using a bucket much.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizzy246B
Just be careful...some are not designed for digging much and really are just an telescopic forklift. Check with your dealer if you are going to be using a bucket much.
Will do. I don't think I would be as interested in having it dig as I would in having it MOVE material that has already been dug or dropped (gravel, topsoil, snow, etc.). Add to that the ideas you mentioned...even on ranches I could avaoid renting a crane for setting trusses with truss boom attachment.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now you are into the swing of things. Check out the load charts. These give (just like any crane) how far you can reach at what load. A friend of ours has the Maniscopic (942 I think) and he puts 1 tonnes of bricks to the third floor no worries. The only thing you will find in areas where there is lots of building is that everybody will be wanting the machine down the road. Oh and our Manitou dealer says that digging from a stockpile is no worries just not ripping into rock or virgin dirt.

http://www.manitou.com/uk/home.htm

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37840&x=7&location=drop

Old 04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I worked for a framing contractor that had a big Lull brand telehander. He could lift full bundles of plywood 50 feet high. One day i was in the wooding box that we made for the front, putting in a window. After we put the window in, he lowers me down and before i am low enough to get out, he drives to the end up the subdivion and raises me to full height, and leaves me there for 30 minutes!!!!! I was scared!! I think i was 14 at the time!
Old 04-09-2006, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk
I worked for a framing contractor that had a big Lull brand telehander. He could lift full bundles of plywood 50 feet high. One day i was in the wooding box that we made for the front, putting in a window. After we put the window in, he lowers me down and before i am low enough to get out, he drives to the end up the subdivion and raises me to full height, and leaves me there for 30 minutes!!!!! I was scared!! I think i was 14 at the time!
Thats not funny at all

Old 04-09-2006, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doug, Manitou machines are great, but check for dealer support in your area. Deere actually does make a telehandler (primarily for ag), you may want to look into that as well. Cat/JLG now market the same 5,500 pound capacity machines, so that's another option. Bobcat you've mentioned; another company with compact telehandlers would be Terex. (And of course Gehl and Mustang.) Dealer support/location or price may immediately eliminate some of these... just to give you an idea.