Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

walker drive tires

i have a new mt20 with 42" deck. came with low profile tires. found tires were too wide, deck would fit thru small gates but tires wouldn't. so i got the narrow tires. now i can trim better go thru gates easier and now i'm able to go up small hills without spending the drive tires. i was wondering if i could just leave these tires on when i use bigger decks?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 clowns mowing
i have a new mt20 with 42" deck. came with low profile tires. found tires were too wide, deck would fit thru small gates but tires wouldn't. so i got the narrow tires. now i can trim better go thru gates easier and now i'm able to go up small hills without spending the drive tires. i was wondering if i could just leave these tires on when i use bigger decks?
Just try it and see what happens. I don't like the Low Profil Tires, they ride harder.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The low profile tires DO have better traction. The lack of sidewall actually helps the ride on slopes as you dont pitch side to side so much. I do see guys here using the low pro tires and 42" decks, though I know that walker dosn't recommend it because there is no trim on the deck then.

Talk to your dealer about maybe getting the drive tires filled with liquid or maybe some weights... My BIGGEST complaint about my 48" walker was that I was spinning out all the time. Even on FLAT ground when I'd turn around and try to go forward again they would break loose. I HAD the low pro tires too! I tried the standard ones and they were worse!!!

What's REALLY wierd is that my little model C 36" walker will climb great and never spins out on flat ground like my big one would...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose
The low profile tires DO have better traction. The lack of sidewall actually helps the ride on slopes as you dont pitch side to side so much. I do see guys here using the low pro tires and 42" decks, though I know that walker dosn't recommend it because there is no trim on the deck then.

Talk to your dealer about maybe getting the drive tires filled with liquid or maybe some weights... My BIGGEST complaint about my 48" walker was that I was spinning out all the time. Even on FLAT ground when I'd turn around and try to go forward again they would break loose. I HAD the low pro tires too! I tried the standard ones and they were worse!!!

What's REALLY wierd is that my little model C 36" walker will climb great and never spins out on flat ground like my big one would...
Dealer recommends 15 psi in the low profile tires.. Helps with traction, so they say. Doesn't help me.
Greensboro NC