Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another LCO on my jobsite.

As the story goes, i signed this lady back in march for full service this season. I was her snow removal provider this past winter, never gave me a hassle, and ALWAYS paid up front and in full, but I never had her as a summer client. Included in the deal was spring/fall cleanups, mulch, re-edging of beds, mowing, fert and squirt, shrub trimming, the whole 9 yards, to the tune of $3800.00 PAID UP FRONT AND PAID IN FULL back in march. So, I get a call from her today when she went home for lunch. Seems her LCO from LAST YEAR, just showed up and did the spring clean-up and handed her a $360.00 bill for the service. Now, she wants me to credit her for clean-up. I said, no way, a deals a deal, not my fault YOU FORGOT TO CANCEL YOUR SERVICE W/ OTHER LCO. my thinking is she should take it up with the other co. what would you do?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you charged her to do it and you didn't do it, you lost out. The RIGHT thing to do is to refund what YOU would have charged for the clean-up.

Theres an old saying...the early bird gets the worm.
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 04-12-2006, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

<- owner snip ->
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You want the seasons work? You want the fert and squirt? You want the mulch? You want the fall cleanup? You want the future business? you want the reputation of NOT being a good businessman? Then you do the right thing. Work with her a little bit. Don't be a hardhead. If you want to step over dollars to pick up quarters, that is entirely up to you. But I would be in it for the long haul.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
You want the seasons work? You want the fert and squirt? You want the mulch? You want the fall cleanup? You want the future business? you want the reputation of NOT being a good businessman? Then you do the right thing. Work with her a little bit. Don't be a hardhead. If you want to step over dollars to pick up quarters, that is entirely up to you. But I would be in it for the long haul.
^Well said. Refund what ever you would have charged for the spring clean-up. I'm impressed you convinced her to pay up front.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procut
^Well said. Refund what ever you would have charged for the spring clean-up. I'm impressed you convinced her to pay up front.
Exactly, Now if you bid more than what the other LCO charged her then just refund her what he billed. Hey It is like subing with out calling the guy to do the job.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc
Exactly, Now if you bid more than what the other LCO charged her then just refund her what he billed. Hey It is like subing with out calling the guy to do the job.
It doesnt work like that, as his shoddy work is not up to my standards. So, bottom line, im gonna have to do it over to clean up all the missed leaves, sticks, dead plant matter, etc etc, and , unlike MOST people on here, i aint workin for free.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPSJay
unlike MOST people on here, i aint workin for free.
From the sounds of it you arent working at all!

Did she ask you to redo his work? Doesn't sound like it. Give her her money back...that is if you still have any of it left It is not for you to decide if the other guy did an adequate job, that is between the client and the other guy. Sounds like she wants her $$$ not you redoing things so she can be charged twice...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
From the sounds of it you arent working at all!

Did she ask you to redo his work? Doesn't sound like it. Give her her money back...that is if you still have any of it left It is not for you to decide if the other guy did an adequate job, that is between the client and the other guy. Sounds like she wants her $$$ not you redoing things so she can be charged twice...
That's what I was thinking. There have been pics of guys cutting in Ohio, why haven't you done clean-ups yet?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkplc
That's what I was thinking. There have been pics of guys cutting in Ohio, why haven't you done clean-ups yet?
Am i in ohio?