Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Which riding mower to buy?

Just cut my lawn today for the first time (just moved into this house in December) with my trusty push Honda caster-wheeled mower....Its the last time i push this yard. Went to Home Depot (have a 10% off coupon) and bought the top-end Toro for 1699 (LT500). I was tempted to buy the Cub Cadet but it was 300 more and i couldnt use the 10% coupon.....I dont mind paying more if the Cub Cadet is that much better but it was slightly more comfortable. I realize that both tractors are both made by MTD but there has to be other differences.
PS- Im not buying a Deere as it would cost 3k+ to get a real one (not the ones in Home Depot or Lowes).

Suggestions? (please keep the suggestions between the Cub Cadet and the Toro - i have a fairly open yard, almost 3/4 of an acre and just want to spend more time landscaping)
Old 04-07-2006, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's kind of what you want. Most everyone on here has com mowers and you don't need one of those. We run all Cub Cadet mowers and love them!!!! Both that your talking about are good mowers and comes down to what's the most comfortable for you.

Welcome to lawnsite!!

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 04-07-2006, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcondon
It's kind of what you want. Most everyone on here has com mowers and you don't need one of those. We run all Cub Cadet mowers and love them!!!! Both that your talking about are good mowers and comes down to what's the most comfortable for you.

Welcome to lawnsite!!
i am notorious for going overkill on purchases (usually top end of everything) but just cant see spending 4k on a com mower for such little yard....that, coupled with the fact that i may be putting pool in next year, makes it tough to swallow. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=yahtzee]-by MTD but there has to be other differences.
PS- Im not buying a Deere as it would cost 3k+ to get a real one (not the ones in Home Depot or Lowes).

You must realize you are not getting a "real" Cub Cadet or a "real" Toro at these "big box" stores either. All you are getting is the brand name, as all these machines are cheapened up versions of the real JD, Toro, and Cub Cadet machines.
I am sure, for homeowner use, any of those machines will be fine. Of course, there is the issue of service after the sale. Usually, with the Lowes and Home Depot machines, there is none, or it takes weeks to get your mower fixed. Again, that is probably acceptable for the typical homeowner. What it boils down to, is this. If the machine works for you, then you bought the right machine. No point in second guessing your decision. Have fun with it.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, the Toro and Cub Cadet at Home Cheapo are both made by MTD. Assuming we are talking about the lawn tractor series. MTD makes that Toro, but Toro bought the warranty rights. So, Cub Cadet or Toro.. six of one, half a dozen of another.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

get a simplicity=best cut , bar none.
extremely dependable.
forget a ztr-u will regret it.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy_gun
get a simplicity=best cut , bar none.
extremely dependable.
forget a ztr-u will regret it.
everybody in my family has a simplicity. i just bought a new one, and it works great. hold up even under commercial use

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project