Register free!

Old 05-28-2006, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Travisity, sorry if that came off rude...didn't read like I was thinking. I am a fan of the par 36 incandescent..especially on a lighter surface. The movement from light to dark is more subtle and light isn't as bright. Not being critical...I think I have said this before...we're artist and we are not going to paint with light in exactly the same way. What a dull world that would be. I would agree with paul that redircting some of the fixtures would be helpful. Also I am sure the picture doesn't represent 100% what it looks like standing in front of it at night.

chris
Old 05-28-2006, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't take it that way at all. I was just wondering what other than tungsten you could use. I didn't think about par-36 as not being tungsten.
no I didn't take it that way at all, but it is funny how you can read something and depending on your perception you will interperet in a different way.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes
Old 05-28-2006, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Stick with halogens. Only Out of touch lighting manufactures' still recommend incandescant lamps that prematurely fail and leave the contractor holding the bag. If halogen is too bright or color is an issue use lenses. Incandescants stink.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

travisty, try palying with it on your own house see what you think. I don't use them because I'm getting a commision check from a lamp manufacturer. Our customers seem very pleased. We have replaced several jobs that has mr-16 halogen with incandescant par-36. I would try the lo4446(25w) lamp. It has 16'9" beam spread at 10'..4 foot candles. very wide..very subtle. You could just order the lamps and wire those up to test at your house unless you handle well lights already. I love halogen because of the long lamp life but most par 36 will last a year which is proably the maximum amount of time you wait to service. It's not me being out of touch..it's what our customers like.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Halogen v. incadescent

Gents,
It always amazes me how some designers LOVE PAR36s and others are devotees of MR-16s. Some of my thoughts and observations:

Trav - I'm not sure if you made a slip or are not sure of the terminology, but ALL of the lamps being spoken about have a tungsten filament. The MR-16s are halogen-tungsten. The PAR36 lamps Chris speaks of are incandescent tungsten. Also keep in ming, PAR36 lamps are also available in halogen in various wattages and beam spreads (not trying to confuse the matter, ).

I design primarily with halogen MR16s. I like the constant color across my designs, and if I do use an inground fixture, I spec an MR16 inground when budget permits. If cost is an issue, I spec a regular well light and lamp it with a halogen PAR36. It is never my preference. I don't like the open connections, especially below grade.

A big problem I see is designers using well lights in mulch beds. This is a problem waiting to happen. Make sure it doesn't happen on your watch! These lights will soon be buried in mulch and overheat. If you are lucky, it will only melt the PVC sleeve before tripping a breaker. If you're not lucky, it will ignite the mulch. Oftentimes I see these fixtures (I use the term loosely) set high above grade level with no covers or grates. This might minimize the mulch and leaf litter buildup, but it looks like hell during the day.

We put covers of some type on all of our ingrounds. A brass grate or a ring and glass lens. Almost all of my ingrounds are specified when we need a flush mount in the turf. This is where a well light really shines (I don't believe I just typed that!) It is safe from mowers and trimmers and if positioned properly, it is nearly invisible during the day.

I just met with a client this morning who absolutely hates her current system and wants me to replace it with one that works properly. She said she can't keep up with the bulb replacement and she wants her landscape lit the right way. I walked the property, you guessed it! All well lights! No covers, daisy chain wiring, over powered, just a mess. She showed me two places where there were lights that had melted. Only one burned the mulch.

To each his own. That's my two cents.

Mike