Register free!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

quote/bid for landscape job, customer not sure what they want?

Well this is the 2nd time this month that ive had a customer state that they have another company comming in X# of days to give them a price for "minor" landscaping or plant installation, were talking 3k$ work here or less.

If they told what they want, where at and asked how much, id just give them a price quote. BUT they have NO IDEA what they want. One woman wants some stone or block around the garden area in front of the house along with plants in the back around a jacuzzi thats UNDER her back deck? i mean its shade 80% of the day back here. She has no idea what type of plants she wants.

Whos to say my bid for the job at 1k is good for selling her mums VS the other guys quote or if i price out $400 trees and the other guy quotes to plant mums for $1000 for the job? lol.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this customers need to pay a designer to do this. Don't fall victim to them, state your terms and how YOU do business. I can can design the yard of their dreams, great then do it and charge for it.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is where the salesman's skills come in. I am not very good at it. But I know one guy in particular who is incredible. He can convince eskimos that they need an outdoor refridgerator. He shows up and confidently TELLS the customer what they want. He has companies he regularly works with (he is a designer, and subs out all work) so he can give an estimate right away since he knows what their rates are, later he will have a written contract.

I am not sure what to say, except be confident when you give estimates/quotes.