Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Unhappy Please, please, please answer this!

Graduated w bachelors in Dec and cant find a job. Have a wife and a 7 month old kid- we have no medical insurance. I feel like crap man, i have to provide better for my fam. I got a sweet trailer and a decent truck with a tank. I need to buy an edger, leaf blower, brooms, etc. so i have a lot of work to do.

1. My main question is this: How do I advertise? My father is a pastor and I know a lot of people from my church and its daycare have already said they want theirs done. As of now I only have a sign stapled on the twine that blocks off at the end of each driveway I'm doing. I got business cards and a website up. Do I advertise in the local paper? What about putting political type signs in town (illegal or just stupid)? By the way- i live in SE Michigan.

2. Is their any advise on health insurance (self owner insurance of sorts)? My friend had the $100 a month kind and he got a kidney stone and it covered nothing, he told me you get what you pay for with it- theres no easy way out. I hope i don't have to spend $500 a month for me and my wife.

3. Please see my other posts and give a little answer, it'll just take 30 seconds. And if theres anything else you would stress to an ignorant sealcoater say it. I'm doing my fathers church parking lot, but after that I'll have no experience before my first customer. thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Very confused on getting paid.

another question. My bro in law is helping me and wants me to try to get Cash or my name on the check. I'm not sure. I'm small potatos and the IRS probably wouldn't have me at the top of their list, but geezz. What if one of the customers gets a little mad and calls someone? Is this highly risky?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All I can suggest to you is you get out there and pound the pavement to look for a job with benefits,they are out there..What is your degree in?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey there is a thread in here a guy is looking for help a lawn and landscape position in your state
Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn / Landscape position

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for motivated, hard working individual who is avail for the 2006 season. Must be 18, with valid drivers lic. Exp not necessary.
We perform lawn maint. and landscape installs in SE Michigan.

info@alternativeland.com
Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

E-mail him like now!If he's close enough
Old 04-11-2006, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 4 year degree in business administration and i don't want to be making what 18 year olds make. If I can't find a job with $15 hour with benefits then I'll be "my own man" and start a business. I'm 29 and I need proper finances for my fam. If I can possibly gain the knowledge it takes to be successfully self employed (I know I will) and I could easily make $10 hour w benefits at a crappy job (that i'll hate, but not as much as working on lawns making another guy money). No, i think the best route is to hate life working in the heat, but as my own man. Not saying there won't be bumps and bruises, but the knowledge I'll gain is invaluble.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwacket
I have a 4 year degree in business administration and i don't want to be making what 18 year olds make. If I can't find a job with $15 hour with benefits then I'll be "my own man" and start a business. I'm 29 and I need proper finances for my fam. If I can possibly gain the knowledge it takes to be successfully self employed (I know I will) and I could easily make $10 hour w benefits at a crappy job (that i'll hate, but not as much as working on lawns making another guy money). No, i think the best route is to hate life working in the heat, but as my own man. Not saying there won't be bumps and bruises, but the knowledge I'll gain is invaluble.
i understand what you're getting at, but maybe consider taking the crappy job with benefits as a stopgap measure until you can build the business. that way you are at least bringing home x number of dollars guaranteed. then when business is good, leave. i would bet that at least 50% of my accounts have been generated by telling people at my day job what i do on the side. whatever you decide, good luck.

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 04-12-2006, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, yer right. I presently am workin for my dad and probably will through the summer. Benefits though i don't have. I appreciate the advice- i do, but i need to push this thing full throttle. i have a lot of jobs set up through my church and its daycare so I'm on my way. Anyone want to answer my questions?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

fliers have always worked for me. response rate can vary from < 1% to as high as 3% depending on the location in which they are distrubuted. i have found that small towns in my area do not have as much competition, hence my fliers have a signifigantly higher response rate in those areas. the wealthy subdivisions may get several fliers a week, whereas middle income areas do not receive nearly as many. also target areas with a high percentage of elderly people. again, good luck.

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"