Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Sealcoat, then apply sand ?

I do not want to start any fights, but i have been sealing 3 of my family owned steep driveways @ 800 ft long each with an old rotary screw drive pump that will not spray a sand mixture. While the coal tar mixture is still wet i apply the sand then mist another light coat over it to seal it in. It may not be as good as a pro job but it is not slippery, just an idea for those trying to get into the business for which i am not, I am only trying to preserve my pavement.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you putting on sand or Blackbeauty?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I used clean masonary sand, silica sand is what everyone else seems to use, also i was told black beauty has iron ore in it that could possibly lead to rust spots on the driveway. Maybe some else could shed some light on this.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

i was thinking of a similar idea, i just cant figure out the best seaqler to use or where to buy. i have a square tank that will be agitated by recirculation and im not looking to spray with sand at this time. any ideas?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Broadcasting sand is not the best method but it is way better than no sand at all. Its hard to get an even spread, and walking, hose dragging and so on can mess up your spread. It will roll out a little sooner.
The same is true of black b. It is a boiler slag that lays somewhat flat and is very hard. I think it may be harder on your equipment while producing a lesser job.
Silica sand comes in many forms. You want a #1 angular cut in a # 50 size. Other types are more rounded like the stuff in sand blasters which is very round. That wont do much for traction and some is coated with extra silica that will cause early roll out. A grass seed spreader will produce a even spread of sand.
Nulook has a very good idea for the homeowner or someone that dose a few drives per year. If you are doing a few hundred drives per year, that extra time for brodcasting sand will quickly add up. Food for thought.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know if that would work. I've never tried it, but, sand in sealer needs to be 100% dry and slowly added into the mix of the sealer to absorb as much of it as possible. Im not sure if just tossing it on the driveway is going to do much. What if you get it too thick in some spots? The sealer wont stick and it will eventually peel or flake off.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

This will cause what is called sand roll off. You will find it on he edge or the side of the driveway especially after a good rain. Also when people drive or walk on the driveway the sand will pop. It needs to be mixed into the mix so it absorbs the product and dries with the sealcoating. If you have a steep incline that is where you really need a heavy sand load of upwards of 5lbs. per gallon. If it worked for you go for it but I haven't found this very successful.