Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2006, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

design OPINIONs

Last week i was doing some SEO for a MA irrigation web site that i created and maintain... when i stumbled across a MA North Shore irrigation companies "newly" updated web site. This new site duplicates the design and layout i created.
They even went so far as to swipe a custom image link and upload it to their site.

No laws have been broken, no copyright enfringement.
The site is still under construction. I'm waiting to see what else they will swipe.

I'm just wondering what your opinion is of lame designers who duplicate other's ideas?

Would you consider it a "compliment" or just be urked if someone completely copied your web site design & layout?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

uhmmm... they could've used the same program or the same template you used for one thing but take it as a compliment anyway, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Well it sure lets you know you are good! Take it as a compliment, for sure...but if it gets out of hand, copyright your stuff and get paid for it.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I designed the site from scratch. No templates used.

I'm waiting to see if they swipe any of my photos. All the pixs are copyrighten.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

We've had people "borrow" text from us several times. True, it is a form of flattery, albeit annoying! In every case it was blamed on a web designer trying to take short cuts. We also got each of them corrected with one or two friendly phone calls.

My feeling is everyone should copyright their work. It seems to help. I feel the most valuable part of a site is the message, not the look. We seem to have a very effective and well received message so we assertively protect it!

We built our own site because we wanted to know enough to make editorial changes. We didn't want it to look too slick because some people are leary of over-promotion. On the other hand we are now at a point where we are not doing as much work for individual land owners anymore so we will soon jump to something much more "flashy" for the business clients. (pardon the pun lol). - maybe next winter.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd call it plagiarism and call them on it.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is one of the reasons I don't have a web site. That and I have too much work and I'm not a techie so I would have to pay someone else to do it. I don't mind giving information but I want to give it not have it taken, especially by people will take what I have given freely and profit from it.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I know how to copyright photography.
But, how do you copyright a web site design?

Also, has anyone out there trademarked their business logo?
How do you do that? Was it expensive?

THANX!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

As another designer that does affiliate marketing and designing I too would be irked to say the least. If they liked it so much they could have sent you an email and asked to hire you but to completely swipe it is wrong and pretty much stealing since you are the creator.

It can be rather frustrating in this business can't it? Been there, done that.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Sponsor

re: copyrights. As soon as a web page is published (made live on the Internet) it is copyrighted. You don't need a copyright symbol, nor do you need to register it with the copyright office.

Anyone who copies images or code and uses them without your permission is in violation. If their use of your material impacts your business or generates profit for them, then you have cause to file suit.

Of course, it rarely needs to go that far. I've had my images taken by other sites and all but one agreed to remove them when I politely asked. The one exception, I had to contact the company that hosted his site to let them know that one of their customers was violating copyright law. The host convinced their client to remove the images.