Register free!

Old 04-13-2006, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Grass for hills and shade

I have a new account that is around 3 acres and most all of it is on a slope. The ground is some top soil but the problem areas are brownish red clay and rocky. I call it chirt. The grass has some weeds mixed in along with the small small rocks scattered about. What would be my best bet to improve the soil quality without trying to spread new topsoil "I feel it would only wash away too"? The customer has planted more grass seed many times but most of it just washes away. They also have a large stocked fish pond that the yard drains towards and I would not want to add anything that would hurt the fish. Also they have a good concentration of hardwood trees that supply allot of shade during the summer months. I am not that educated on soil testing for lime and fertilizer but I feel that aeration and soil conditioning could be the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated I really would like to start helping people improve their turf quality as part of my business but I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to this.

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not"