Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

E85

Stopped by to fill up the gas cans for todays jobs and noticed that regular gas has jumped up to $2.79 per gallon. I then looked over and saw that E85 fuel was only $2.29 (50 cents less ... WOW!). It made me think of how much I could save by switching to a truck that used E85. I checked the owners manual on my 2003 F-150 with 4.2 motor and I can not use it.

Does anyone use E85? Does it have the same power and mileage as gasoline?

Next ... when can we get mowers that burn the stuff?

I will have to figure out if the fuel savings makes it worth buying a new truck.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The fuel savings will NEVER cover the cost of buying a new vehicle. Depreciation is still your biggest expense, unless you drive a 10+ year-old vehicle.

E85 can cause problems with rubber components in your fuel system. The sad part is that it would NOT be cheaper than gasoline if it weren't subsidized by the government.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

At least you have the option. I have never seen a station showing e85. In fact I had to read this post to find out what you were talking about.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use E85 in my 04 Tahoe. We get a mile or two less per gallon but we pay around 2.00 a gallon compared to 2.69 a gallon for regular. Lots of farmers here are using it in their trucks without the flex fuel option. Long term it will cause your fuel lines and fittings to corrode and rust due to the high moisture content cuased by the alchole in the fuel by running it in a vehicle without the flex fuel option. The flex fuel option is only stainless fuel lines and fittings on Chevys. Only 1 station here sells e 85 but that particular station sells alot of it.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-14-2006, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve45
The sad part is that it would NOT be cheaper than gasoline if it weren't subsidized by the government.
Yeah, kind of like the food on your familys table.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called my Ford dealer and he said that if I use E85 in my truck that it would void my warranty. I then checked on the cost of a new Ford F 250 Flex Fuel vehicle ... I could never save enough money to make up the difference in the cost of the newer vehicle.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually if ethanol production in this country were stepped up, the cost of E85 and straight ethanol would drop. Search about how common it is in Brazil, an dwhat there paying per gallon down there. They actually make so much that they are starting to export it worldwide. When I was looking into it a few months ago it was $.98 Brazilian per gallon.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezil
Actually if ethanol production in this country were stepped up, the cost of E85 and straight ethanol would drop. Search about how common it is in Brazil, an dwhat there paying per gallon down there. They actually make so much that they are starting to export it worldwide. When I was looking into it a few months ago it was $.98 Brazilian per gallon.
Yeah until you need 85 million barrels a day, then suddenly it ain't so cheap no more. But I do agree that side-by-side with petrol, it would help some (other than guess what is consumed in the mfg of E85 lol).
Old 04-22-2006, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Services
Stopped by to fill up the gas cans for todays jobs and noticed that regular gas has jumped up to $2.79 per gallon. I then looked over and saw that E85 fuel was only $2.29 (50 cents less ... WOW!). It made me think of how much I could save by switching to a truck that used E85. I checked the owners manual on my 2003 F-150 with 4.2 motor and I can not use it.

Does anyone use E85? Does it have the same power and mileage as gasoline?

Next ... when can we get mowers that burn the stuff?

I will have to figure out if the fuel savings makes it worth buying a new truck.

Thanks
E85 burns 1.6 gallons for every gallon of gas so it's actually more costly
Old 04-23-2006, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is alot of talk about the corrosiveness of it to fuel lines and other components. I have not yet researched real far, so there is very little I know about it, but I just thought I'd let the others try it out and see some effects, too. I am also told that other side effects it MAY cause but is not limited to: Nausea, headache, dry mouth, occasional abdominal pain, diahrea, blurred vision, restlessness or sleepiness, frequent urination, dehydration, blotching of the skin, memory loss, flatulence, loss of appetite, depression or mood swings, increased heart rate, nosebleeds, hair loss, occasional muscle aches, and vomiting. Women who are pregnant and those with heart or circulatory conditions should avoid using this product. Please consult your physician before taking this product, and if any of these symptoms should continue after using this product, please consult your physician. Ask your physician today for your free sample.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.