Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

green tracks for asv

Gidday, I finally demoed the rc60. great machine.
After demoing the machine I was talking to the dealer who thought that maybe the green tracks would suit our business needs even more than a standard machine.
Does anyone have any experience with the green tracks.
What are the downsides?

Cheers Will
Old 04-16-2006, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiwill
Gidday, I finally demoed the rc60. great machine.
After demoing the machine I was talking to the dealer who thought that maybe the green tracks would suit our business needs even more than a standard machine.
Does anyone have any experience with the green tracks.
What are the downsides?

Cheers Will
Hey Willi, We are demoing the RC30 next week. The turf tracks look good for us but I would have thought the normal rubber ones would be better in your dirt?. I only have the salesman blurb to go on.

How did your ASV vs Blobcat demo's go??

Lady: You Sir are Drunk!
Winston Churchill: Yes Ma'am but you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be Sober.

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of humour....but it sure is fun!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Gidday Squizzy.

I really liked both machines.

The bobcat had an enclosed cab which was really nice because it was raining when I used it.

It took a while for me to get used to the different controls on the asv, but it was very smooth.

Our soil here is pretty dry and basically has no organic matter in it.
When it gets wet it really packs down hard, the tracks of both machines were leaving visible indentations in finished work. Not normally a problem, but90% of our work is lawn installs, and the wheels marks always look bad, and at the end of the day the seed just doesn,t take as well in the extra compacted ground.

After seeing us use the rc60 in a typical situation it was actually the dealer who suggested the green tracks would be better for us.

Just got to spend a week on your lovely gold coast. sure was hard coming back to our single digit night times.

I wonder if there is room for a couple more kiwis in Aus.

Cheers Will
Old 04-16-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Kiwiwill,

I have a very good friend that has a RC60, he does lawn installs but also grading, backfilling etc. on construction sites.

Get the machine with the standard track and buy a set of green for the lawns.
The green track does not have the traction of the standard, it will take some time to change it over but this one unit can do exactly what you need.

Asv has the lowest ground pressure in the market because it has a more even weight distribution. Good Choice,

Good Luck

Caribbean Breeze,
Old 04-16-2006, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Gidday Squizzy.

The bobcat had an enclosed cab which was really nice because it was raining when I used it.
The A/C is great for different reasons over here Will, although you guys do like your brass monkey weather.
Quote:
It took a while for me to get used to the different controls on the asv, but it was very smooth.
It always does.

Quote:
Our soil here is pretty dry and basically has no organic matter in it.
When it gets wet it really packs down hard, the tracks of both machines were leaving visible indentations in finished work. Not normally a problem, but90% of our work is lawn installs, and the wheels marks always look bad, and at the end of the day the seed just doesn,t take as well in the extra compacted ground.

After seeing us use the rc60 in a typical situation it was actually the dealer who suggested the green tracks would be better for us..
Sounds like the turf tracks would be a good option.

Quote:
I wonder if there is room for a couple more kiwis in Aus.

Cheers Will
Cmon Willi, use guys only use NZ for Christmas holidays

Old 04-17-2006, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Member

vts tracks

Gidday Squizzy, they have just started to offer the vts tracks in New Zealand.
Did you gain any useful info on these in comparison to a dedicated track machine.

cheers will
(blobcat) ?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Gidday Squizzy, they have just started to offer the vts tracks in New Zealand.
Did you gain any useful info on these in comparison to a dedicated track machine.

cheers will
(blobcat) ?
Will, to my way of thinking, if you have a wheeled machine, its in good nick and is going to continue to provide a service which requires wheels the Loegring system could be the one for you. On the other hand I rang the mob in QLD who brings them into Aus and $20K later I can own a set. Now if you are in the market for a new machine anyway then $20K is a lot of new machine. If you can use a dedicated track machine why not go with the factory and get the support and warranty.

There is a well respected guy on this BB (and some other boards) who speaks well of his VTS tracks but I think he has practically put them on and kept them on.

I think we could use Over the Tyre tracks but we would have to change tyres tyres as well.

Thats my take on it....if you have a newish machine on wheels and you are not going to turn it over...go the VTS. If you are already in the market get the factory job.

blobcat = Bobcat with an "L" for lawyer...what you need to get some warranty here when they cook and go haywire in the dust...that said the T300 bobcats are going really well over here in the sand.

Cheers...can you post some pics of the conditions you work in?.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Tracks

Last fall I spoke to two operators running green tracks up here in Wisconsin. One was running them on her RC30 and one was running them on his RC50. The stated that the difference in traction on dry ground when pushing dirt was hardly noticeable. However, they also said there was a noticeable difference when it got really really wet and slippery. In those cases they both switched back to the "dirt" tracks. I also have a pretty good friend that runs the VTS on his skid. He has about 1,350 hours on the system right now. He had to change out his tracks at around 870 hours and his drive chains and sprokets were shot at around 1,100 hours. He likes the performance, but he figures that the cost of operating the VTS (if you keep the system on the machine all the time) is probably more than a dedicated CTL due to track life similar to the Bobcat tracks and the cost of chains and sprockets. I also wonder what the added stress on the loader and engine(increased ROC and increased load to the hydrostat) is like down the road due to the VTS's extra weight being added to a skid steer that was meant for tires. I think they might me a good bet for someone that was willing to change them out everytime he didn't need the tracks. I'm glad your demo went well. It sounds like you have a tough choice to make.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of those concerns on the effect of the VTS are why no one is willing to authorize it on their (OEM) machine. That and its an ASV/CAT product and no one wants to feed the competition. Dig Deep did your friend say how much it cost to replace those parts? I have a good friend who is a lead engineer at Bobcat and his word was they thought the VTS was a POS. It repeatedly broke down while they were testing it. Hard to say what they were doing to induce such problems but I am sure they were not easy on it. I was impressed with the idea of the VTS but it may not be an answer. Considering what that system costs and if it really lasts for only 800 hours than thats a problem. However I think you would have to average the life that numerous people got out of the system. The ASV systems up here have a terrible reputation. Although they seem to do better in other parts of the country. Or maybe wait for the release of an improved model. Certainly they have been learning where they can improve the system. Lowering the price would be a good start.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.