Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2006, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

'06 Ford F-250 bad transmission..........

Just bought a brand new Ford F-250 Super Duty and the transmission falls out with 800 miles on it! I had just finished for the week (Friday evening) and turned up my road coming home and it sounded like someone threw a handful of ball bearings in the tranny, I WAS SICK! Service manager says it was just a glitch from the factory and the new tranny should last at least 150,000 miles. And to think, I was worried about the 6.0 power stroke engine living. My father told me I would regret buying a Ford, I just didn't think he would be right so soon.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok so now you have learned your lesson, I assume the dodge will be here next week, right? That must be the soonest I have heard a tranny failing. So much for the 'TorqShift POS.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ford hasn't made a good automatic transmission since the '80s.

Enjoy buying 3 more, plus a turbo or two.

I also think its stupid to expect a transmission to only last 150k. I'm spoiled by the many japanese vehicles i've owned over the years I guess...I'm used to running them to 250k before anything major breaks.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Things happen. I had a 2002 F250 with 60,000 miles and it never hiccupped once. Humans make em, they ain't perfect. There's people on here that have problems with Chevy,GM and Dodge. There all good trucks but things do go wrong occasionally. You got a good truck,don't worry.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I havent liked a Ford tranny since the C6 and AOD models.these new things are too light duty, and weak. the C6 was a tried and true transmission. oh how I miss the good ole days.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to mention that I really wanted a manual transmission but the slaesman convinced me how great these new trannies are when in tow/haul mode. Needless to say, he didn't have much to say when he was giving me a loaner truck.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Ok so now you have learned your lesson, I assume the dodge will be here next week, right? That must be the soonest I have heard a tranny failing. So much for the 'TorqShift POS.
A Dodge man cracking on a Ford's transmission. What planet are you on? I'm not a "Ford Man" or "Dodge Man" or whatever, but the only reason I didn't buy a Dodge this time (and I love the Cummins) is because they have got by far the sorriest automatic transmissions in the world.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties
A Dodge man cracking on a Ford's transmission. What planet are you on? I'm not a "Ford Man" or "Dodge Man" or whatever, but the only reason I didn't buy a Dodge this time (and I love the Cummins) is because they have got by far the sorriest automatic transmissions in the world.

Obviously you didnt take a test drive in a new model. The 48RE is a great transmission especially compared to their old tranny, the 47rh now that was a pos. The 48 shifts very firmly for such a "sorry" transmission as you call it.

I encourage you to test drive one and post back the results.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Obviously you didnt take a test drive in a new model. The 48RE is a great transmission especially compared to their old tranny, the 47rh now that was a pos. The 48 shifts very firmly for such a "sorry" transmission as you call it.

I encourage you to test drive one and post back the results.
You may very well be right. I hope so. I'll have to see a pattern there first. Let's face it, when we use a vehicle to make a living, it takes a while for a bad reputation to get fixed. Thanks for the heads up, though.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'll second the opinion on bad Dodge transmissions. ive owned 30 vehicles over the years, beat the crap out of some, babied others. the ONLY failures ive had were Chrysler products, and they were the ones i babied, as they were my main family vehicles that my wife was driving the kids around in. my 98 plymouth minivan failed at 60,000 perfectly maintained by the book at the dealer miles. fluid changed at 12,000 miles, flushed at 30,000...by the book, with the correct Mopar brand fluid. $2800. never towed, never abused, the dealer felt there was nothing wrong with a trans failure at 60 thou. plus several 727 torqueflites. ive beat the piss out of crappy GM work trucks and never changed the fluid, no problems.
and taking a test drive in a new truck sure wont convince me chrysler can make a good trans now. what, just because it didnt fail on the test drive?