Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking for a new truck GAS or DEISEL

Looking to get a new truck, had an '83 1/2 ton Chevy and now I am using my Z71 Tahoe. Looking for 3/4 ton and need some help. I know that deisels are great for high miles, but is it the best choice for a small business owner staying within 25 miles of home on most days? Only pulling 52" z turn and usually no more than 5 yards of mulch. I like the GMC and Chevy, but you see a lot of F250's on the road.. Any oppinions would by great...
Old 04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you read about the guy with the 250 and after 800 miles his tanny fell out! Id stay with gmc/chevy and a 2500 duramax will last you forever.

Dan
36" Jacobson hydro w/b
(2) 21" Snapper professional w/b
(2) Shindaiwa t260
Shindaiwa EB240
(2) Shindaiwa DH230
Husqvarna (2)340,(2)359,(2)372,(1)288xp,(3)338XPT
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to put on less than 20k miles per year and don't plan on towing heavy loads then save your money and buy a gasser.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea that was one time that a tranny blew. Buy a Dmax if you want an Isuzu engine, but they are really all decent trucks. I will always recommend Ford, as will the majority of the people on this site, they do control about 50% of the commercial market (if that says anything).
Old 04-19-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Stick with gas in your situation. If your concerned with cost of gas consider putting in natural gas conversion. I'm not sure how it works down in the States, but we can get grants for that sort of stuff up here in Canada.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was planning to a buy Ford until I found out about this, http://www.boycottford.com/ so, my next truck will most likely be a Dodge diesel, 3/4 ton.
Never had much luck with chevys.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspit
I was planning to a buy Ford until I found out about this, http://www.boycottford.com/ so, my next truck will most likely be a Dodge diesel, 3/4 ton.

Boycotts are such stupid things.

I'm surprised you have a computer since parts of it were manufactured in communist countries!.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yea Fords are nice trucks, but how many old Fords VS. GM do you see on hte road???

I'd be willing to bet that there are almost as many 20 year old Chevys on the road as 2006 Chevys, GM speaks for it's self, and always did. Ford is just a bunch of hype and good looks.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspit

You know it is stuff like this that makes me think that there are way to many people out there that have way to much time on their hands. Ford makes an incredible truck plain and simple. So what if they want to support gays and lesbians at least they arent supporting terrorist. There are so many more things in my daily life that I should be worrying about. Than who or what the makers of the best work truck I have ever had support. I would like to point out that yes I am straight and will be until the day I die. But come on why isnt everyone allowed to make there own decisions and do what they believe in. Isnt that why your great grandparents came to america for in the first place.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

if you want a trouble free long lasting truck-get a toyota tundra